Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Meal Delivery Services  (Read 207 times)

Offline damian.bramer

• Faculty
Meal Delivery Services
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:17:54 AM »
Does anyone know of any good meal delivery services that they would recommend? I see advertisements like Hello Fresh, Splendid Spoon, and Daily Harvest that look decent. I am interested to hear about your experience with any of them.

Offline lindseypaganini

• Student
Re: Meal Delivery Services
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 01:17:42 PM »
Hello Damian,

There does seem to be quite a variety of meal delivery services available these days. I used to have my own meal prep/delivery company so am pretty familiar with the concept. As far as the mainstream marketed ones go, I have never personally tried one. I have heard from multiple people that Hello Fresh was the favorite. This particular one is a 'cook it yourself' approach, in which you choose what recipes you like, how many meals you want, and they send pre portioned ingredients along with a detailed recipe.  I believe Blue Apron has this same model. If cooking isn't your thing or you're searching for fully prepared meals, my suggestion is to be specific about what type of food and quality you want. That way you can narrow your search and find something local. The prices can range from $12 per meal to $45 and up, from what I've seen as well as how I operated myself. I hope this was helpful and I would love to know what direction you go.

Offline gracebrowne

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
Hi Damian!

I've tried Sun Basket and Thistle. Sun Basket is one of the meal delivery kits. You can choose your requirements such as paleo, vegan, etc, and their produce is 99% organic. My husband and I thought the meals were easy to make and very good!

Thistle meals are fully prepared, no cooking necessary. Their website says "whenever possible" they choose organic, local & sustainable sources. They're gluten free, dairy free and plant based with optional animal protein add-ins. I found their food to be delicious!

Another that I've been wanting to try is Model Meals - ready to go Whole30/Paleo meals, doesn't require a subscription so you just order as needed. I've heard great things about the quality and variety - also local & organic.

Cheers!
Grace

Offline Lila.Volkas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 01:12:15 PM »
Hi Damian,

If you live in the Bay Area Gomethodology is a great meal delivery service, nutrient dense but also $$$. https://www.gomethodology.com/

Also Threestone Hearth is great if you can pick it up. Also nutrient dense and very good quality ingredients.

Finally a well-known Bauman grad Diane Sanfilipo created Balanced Bites Meals- I'd be curious to hear what the feed back is. These are frozen meals- https://balancedbites.com/meals/

Offline caryndilks

• Student
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »
My favorite meal delivery services is Green Chef (I've tried Blue Apron, Plated, & Hello Fresh). Green Chef is certified as USDA Organic. What I love about it is that it is very customization and offers lots of meals to choose from (many of the others give limited choices). They try to simplify things by organizing the meals by Keto, Paleo, Omnivore, Plant-powered, Mediterranean, Heart Smart, Gluten-fee, & Pescatarian, etc! So, lots of options to fit any diet. I try to stick with the vegan and vegetarian meals from them and they have been very tasty. A bonus is that some items (like the onion) come pre-chopped for you so that helps save time! It might be on the more expensive side compared to Blue Apron but I found myself making and enjoying all three meals I get (as opposed to Blue Apron where I tended to only really like 2 of 3 meals since you didn't get much choice on what you got).