Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Protein Powders? What do you love, what to look out for?  (Read 255 times)

Offline maripetherbridge

• Student
Protein Powders? What do you love, what to look out for?
« on: May 18, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
Hi Friends! I was just curious if anybody has a protein powder for morning time smoothies that they love..? I have tried a couple, including Bone Broth based, and I can't say I am in love. I am very picky about ingredients, hoping to stay as natural, and addictive free as possible. No gluten, artificial sweeteners or colors, etc. Thanks so much for input!

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
Re: Protein Powders? What do you love, what to look out for?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 06:39:21 PM »
If you must use a protein powder consider Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides,  Goatein from Garden of LIfe, Standard Process Complete or Great Lakes Gelatin powder. Ideally your protein should come from whole foods your great grandmother would recognize so you are sure to get the nutrients needed for you to metabolize the protein properly. Enjoy.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline jyotisuntha

• Student
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 07:13:24 PM »
hi
this is jyoti even i ve a same question as i m  pure vegetarian and need protein supplement to fulfill my protein need i used to take whey protein in the form of shakes w/ milk or without milk. but sometimes i feel it upsets my digestion and i suffer constipation. kindly suggest.

Offline trinavadon

• Student
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:27:13 PM »
I am a bit of a nut when it comes to protein powders. I have tried a ton of different brands, usually all organic vegan based.

My favorite I have found as far as quality ingredients and taste is:

1:  "Ground Based Nutrition; Super Food Protein, Chocolate", it is fairly pricey.

If you're looking for a lower priced one I like:

2: "Garden of Life Organic Plant Based Protein" sport or regular version, but not the meal, it is a horrible texture... in my onion.

Offline ashleighhare

• Student
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 11:36:47 AM »
I am an avid smoothie lover and I have tried so many different protein powders. I always read the ingredients before buying-and look for blends without added sugar or stevia, soy, whey or lactose(as i do not do well with dairy) and with  as many organic ingredients possible. I LOVE Philosophie Superfoods protein powders. There is a cacao based one that can be a great addition to a superfood coffee! But my favorites are the “Green Dream” which is hemp based(adding omegas!)and has 10 grams of protein and 60% of your daily iron in one tablespoon. I love that it also has fiber from chia seeds, and iron from spirulina. Spirulina can have a strong taste, but I find the 1 tablespoon of powder blends perfectly with veggies and fruits and creates a balanced smoothie. I also love their “Berry Bliss” protein powder because it packs in a powerhouse of vitamin C  and antioxidants from camu camu and goji berry. This one however uses sprouted brown rice protein instead of hemp so I don’t use it as my daily protein.
I hope you give them a try! I also love this brand because it is made by a small, woman/mama owned company.

Offline biancagandarias

• Student
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 05:32:20 PM »
I'm VERY particular about the taste of protein powders and find most to be chalky and artificial tasting. After much trial and error I've become a big fan of collagen or bone broth based protein powders! Vital Proteins is definitely a great, neutral tasting product but I find their price points to be exorbitant. I really love the chocolate flavored bone broth collagen powder from Sports Science which I'm amazingly able to find at Home Goods of all places! I always find that their prices are better than what I find online. If you are looking to completely steer clear of collagen powders completely and want something plant based, I once tried 22 Days Vanilla powder and thought it was pretty good. This is the only plant protein powder I have actually liked and the ingredients are clean and simple.