Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: FODMAP/ Eczema/ Candida  (Read 273 times)

Offline miriamhernandez

• Student
FODMAP/ Eczema/ Candida
« on: May 20, 2019, 12:19:57 AM »
I've come across the FODMAP diet recently. I've personally struggled with eczema all my life and I went to a Holistic Doctor who ran blood tests and said I have insulin sensitivities. (Whatever that means.) My vitamin levels were all pretty solid but I still have issues. I've been looking at forum posts dating far back with this issue wondering if anyone has had success treating patients with FODMAP focused foods.  Has anyone linked eczema with "Fructose Malabsorption"? I've also been told sometimes people with eczema confuse dry patches of skin with candida overgrowth. I never realized candida/yeast overgrowth can come up topically on the skin. Any info is much appreciated.  :)

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: FODMAP/ Eczema/ Candida
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:41:24 PM »
I have seen histamines being a culprit with regard to eczema.  Check out this site: http://mthfr.net/histamine-intolerance-mthfr-and-methylation/2015/06/11/

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline marianarodriguez

• Student
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:16:24 PM »
Hey! I have struggled with some light eczema growing up, I have been on the Low-FODMAP diet and are now on treatment for Candida overgrowth. My first word of advice would be to try going gluten and dairy free, sometimes these two are the culprits for eczema. For example, my roommate in college suffered from eczema and horrible cystic acne and after quitting dairy it completely went away. In regards to the insulin thing, are you sure she didn't say insulin resistance? My experience with "eczema" was just candida, it went away as soon as I stopped my crazy sugar addiction and started taking antifungals. Other signs of candida overgrowth are sugar cravings, itchy ears, recurrent vaginal infections, recurrent nail fungus or athlete's foot...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:20:13 PM by marianarodriguez »

Offline daniellekanizo

• Student
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:05:14 AM »
Hi there,
I personally do not suffer from Eczema or Candida however, my boyfriend does. I have been really diving deep into alternative therapies as the common treatment for this outbreak tends to be a sterile ointment, I have been researching into the cause of Eczema and found that Anthony Williams, has a great amount of information on it. He has a book called Liver Rescue which suggests that the leading reason for these outbreaks is from a virus in the gut lining and can be handled by eating liver aiding foods and juicing.  I found that my boyfriends Eczema has been a bit better since knowing which foods and alternative methods can offer healing.

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:51:14 PM »
Hi Miriam,
When the liver cannot adequately detoxify and eliminate toxins they circulate and irritate many tissues. Often the skin is affected and shows up as eczema, psoriasis or a rash. Finding the source of the toxins and eliminating them will help if they are coming from the environment or diet, but more relief is provided when the liver is supported. Sugar and refined carbohydrates (and even excessive modern hybridized  fruits) are major impediments to good liver function. Plenty of pure water, fresh greens, citrus and bitter foods will help support the liver and relieve skin symptoms. If you are not underweight or weak consider a 24 hour green juice fast. Avoid adding any fruit to those juices if you can. Keep us posted as to what helps you the most.
Enjoy!
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline miriamhernandez

• Student
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 10:28:03 PM »
Thank you so much!!! This is all very helpful. The only ailment I suffer from is dry skin on my elbow. It never comes up as anything else. I never have issues with yeast infections. I don't feel I have a sugar addiction. I think refined carbohydrates could be an issue although I can go a few weeks without eating them and it still doesn't seem to fully clear up. I'm also not big on dairy. I will definitely dive deeper into liver supporting foods.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:32:50 PM by miriamhernandez »

anything