Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Eggplant Carpaccio  (Read 217 times)

Offline elenaubeda

• Student
Eggplant Carpaccio
« on: May 27, 2019, 10:01:29 PM »
Eggplant carpaccio:

I ike to play with the toppings of this recipe depending on seasonality and what is what I have on my fridge. Once you have your base of roasted eggplant, olive oil, tahini and sea salt the possibilities are endless! try different nuts, herbs, spices and fresh fruits.

(Serves 4 to 6 people)
Ingredients:
2 large eggplants (roasted directly on the stove flame if you want a smoky flavor)
¼ cup of Tahini (sesame paste)
2 tbs date molasses
2 sprigs of Thyme (remove steam)
2 tbs of minced Chives
1 ts ground coriander seeds
2 tbs of shallot, finely minced
3 tbs of pomegranate seeds (if in season)
3 tbs of chopped pistachios (walnuts, pine nuts and hazelnuts works also really well)
4 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
Rose water (optional)

Directions:

Drizzle your eggplants with extra virgin Olive oil and salt and roast them in the oven at 400F until very soft and tender. If your eggplants are very big covered the baking pan with foil so they steam and cook faster. I do prefer to give a smoky flavor to this dish and I char the eggplants directly on the flame of my the stove (previously pierce them with a knife). It is a little bit messier but is worth the the extra touch of flavor. You could do this on the grill too. Make sure your eggplants are cook all the way through and very soft and tender inside while the skin is mostly charred.

Place your charred or roasted eggplants on a cooling rack for a few minutes and then peel the skin, let them drain the extra juices while they cool down completely  Avoid any charred bit of skin to get into the eggplant meat as the flavor is very strong

Get the rest of the ingredients ready, start slicing the eggplants into very thin round slices (¼ of an inch) and arrange the them on the bottom of the plate you are going to serve it. If you find it difficult to cut the slices thin or your eggplant is breaking apart just roughly chop your eggplant and line the bottom of the serving plate with a thin even layer of your “eggplant paste”.

Season your carpaccio with a drizzle of olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. On top carefully drizzle the tahini and date molasses and finish with the rest of the ingredients on top. I like to spray a little bit of rose water at the end for extra flavor.
You can serve this carpaccio with whole wheat pita bread. When I want to avoid bread I serve it with natural dehydrated veggie chips

Enjoy!

anything