Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Do you feel this after you eat sugar?  (Read 237 times)

Offline hilarygo

• Student
Do you feel this after you eat sugar?
« on: May 29, 2019, 09:29:44 PM »
So I used to be one of those people who could eat a whole bag of skittles and feel totally fine afterwards. Lots of sugary cereal for breakfast you name it. My sweet tooth was no joke.

Over the last 10 years my diet has become very much whole foods based and over the last 2 years I've cut out refined sugar from my diet 98%.

When I DO indulge on an ice cream or even add raw honey into a whole foods based dessert I make from scratch, soon after I get a dull, aching and slightly nauseating sensation throughout my body and brain fog completely washes over me.

I never used to feel the effects of sugar in my body in this way- especially when I was eating copious amounts of refined sugar. I used to be able to go on with my day after eating that bag of skittles. Now I take 2 tsp of honey or a scoop of ice cream and I feel ill! Does anyone have explanations as to why the body is giving me this signals so loud and clear now after all these years?? I'm 28 yrs old and pretty active and generally healthy in case you were wondering about age/health.
Looking forward to hearing peoples' thoughts and personal experiences with sugar too.

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
Re: Do you feel this after you eat sugar?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »
Hi Hilary,
Several things may be happening:
1) You are noticing the difference of how you feel from a point of feeling better. Before your reaction to sugar was hidden by an underlying feeling of discomfort.
2) You have lost "tolerance", the ability of the immune system to ignore small amounts of constant challenges.
3) You have gotten older and your previous indiscretions are catching up to you. Your liver is telling you not to damage it with these indulgences. You may also have more stress, increasing difficulty digesting or absorbing these foods, which results in challenges to the liver and possibly intestines. Stick to less sweet fruit for a treat and see if you still have symptoms. If so, seek help from  holistic nutrition practitioner.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000