Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: How to make school lunches/snacks healthier?  (Read 344 times)

Offline caryndilks

• Student
How to make school lunches/snacks healthier?
« on: May 22, 2019, 09:50:52 AM »
Hello, I have two kids ages 8 and 6. I feel having them take a lunch (as opposed to buying at school) is important because I can control the nutritional content of what they eat, but I have been feeling stuck on what to pack in their school lunches, plus an additional snack each day.

I generally pack cucumbers or carrots (their favorites), fruit/berries, and a sunbutter and jelly sandwich (they can not have nuts of any kind at school!). However, I feel this lacks variety. What you pack your kids for lunch?

School snacks end up being more processed because it needs to be something quick to eat and separate from their lunch: granola bar/nutrigrain bar, applesauce squeeze pouch, goldfish,  pretzels, etc. What are some better options you'd recommend?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:53:22 AM by caryndilks »

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
Re: How to make school lunches/snacks healthier?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 12:13:06 PM »
Hi Caryn,
One of our former grads has specialized in lunches for her 2 young boys. Check out https://lunchwithleah.com/blog/ to see Leah Vachani's suggestions and tell her I sent you. Check out her Lunchbox Gallery. I find the best lunchse and snacks involve input from the kid who is supposed to eat it! Within the healthy foods let them have choices and get them involved in packing them for themselves. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 12:14:57 PM by Laura Knoff »
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline alexandramccormick

Re: How to make school lunches/snacks healthier?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 03:06:35 PM »
Hi Caryn,

This is something I really feel so many of us mums struggle with! As a stepmom of 3 and mum of a 2 year old I use to really struggle with this too. My 2 year old has just started preschool so I've had to get really creative in what I give her for lunch and snacks. I love giving her healthy salad sandwiches with avocado, cucumber, tomato, grass fed cheese & alfalfa sprouts and cutting it into little portions so it's easy for her to eat. Another sandwich she loves is a smashed boiled egg with mayo and lettuce. Healthy & yummy!

I know it's hard with the no nuts policy at most schools so for a snack I give her a little "trail mix" of seeds & dried fruit such as pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, shredded coconut flakes & raisins. My daughter also loves raw veggies or grainy crackers (Mary's organic crackers are super clean and healthy) with hummus or vegan cream cheese. I give her these foods at home before I give them to her for school just to make sure she will actually eat them.

We are all in the same boat when it comes to this so you are not alone! Let me know if I can offer any more suggestions or support as I'm constantly experimenting with my toddler. I hope I've provided you with some valuable ideas.

Best wishes,
Alex McCormick