Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: 1000mg Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C Packets  (Read 14734 times)

Offline fleaf

• Faculty
  • Nutrition-Matters! Let's Get the Word Out...
    • Fern Leaf:  Nutrition Consultant and Wellness Coach
1000mg Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C Packets
« on: September 29, 2007, 01:43:44 PM »
Hello:

High dosage Vitamin C is an alternative cancer treatment in prominent use throughout the world.  I looked for a product that would go easy on the stomach of my sufferer, as her digestion was severely compromised throughout her illness.  This product delivers C in a way that avoids many negative reactions common C products taken at mega doses can create.

An excerpt from the manufacturer's link is below for your reference. 

I paid $33.00 (including shipping) per box of 30 packets. 
I have one, factory sealed box and 23 individual packets in another box.
Hopefully someone can make good use of these!
If you purchase the unopened box for $30.00,
I'll include the remaining packets as a bonus. 

I am located in Berkeley.   Inquire at leafmarket@earthlink.net

*********From www.LivOnLabs.com: ********
Lypo-Spheric™ Vitamin C has been called "Vitamin C on steroids!" This is because it utilizes state-of-the-art Liposomal Encapsulation Technology (LET). LET allows the nano-scopic spheres of Lypo-Spheric™ Vitamin C to...

quickly navigate through the digestive system
eliminate need for digestive activity prior to assimilation
rapidly absorb in the small intestine and move intact directly to the cells that need it
release the powerful, non-degraded Vitamin C for use throughout the body as the liposomal material is assimilated by the phospholipid-craving cells that are under attack
provide maximum assimilation and bio-availability because there are...

NO binders
      NO fillers
      NO gelatins
      NO capsule materials
      NO dyes
      NO sweeteners, and
      NO flavorings common with tablet and capsule supplements

The Vitamin C and the encapsulating phospholipids are nothing but pure, health-promoting, 100% nutrition. In addition, "essential phospholipid" liposomes protect the Vitamin C from several factors that can degrade and even render Vitamin C ineffective.

Factors that can reduce or destroy the power of Vitamin C tablets before your body can ever use it...

Starting at the manufacturing stage, several additives and processes can limit the digestibility and bio-availability of Vitamin C. Often the product is buffered (to make it easier on the stomach), has binders and fillers added so it will stay together, and often times is “cooked” or “esterified” to extend shelf life.

While in the bottle, free-radicals in the air can oxidize your Vitamin C. The longer it sits, the more oxidized it becomes.

Then, the enzymes in your saliva, the digestive juices in your stomach, the bile salts in your intestines, and even the organisms in your G.I. tract can further degrade the Vitamin C before it ever gets absorbed in the small intestine.

Plus, if you take more than 2 to 3 grams of traditional Vitamin C, the ascorbic acid in the intestines can cause gastric distress -- gas, cramps, and diarrhea. Often Vitamin C will be eliminated via your very loose stool.

“Smart” Liposomal Nano-Spheres™ avoid the degradation and discomfort associated with traditional forms of Vitamin C.
Fern Leaf
MPH in Public Health Nutrition from UC Berkeley
          Specialty focus: Aging and Public Health
NC, Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition
Member, Bauman College Board of Directors
DL Mentor

Offline OliveK

• Alumni
Re: 1000mg Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C Packets
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:54:29 AM »

HI Fern,

I am thinking about trying this product. Is it as good as they say? Does it live up to its claims? How about the one with Glutathione and Vitamin C together - you recommend this one?

Offline fleaf

• Faculty
  • Nutrition-Matters! Let's Get the Word Out...
    • Fern Leaf:  Nutrition Consultant and Wellness Coach
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:25:30 PM »
Hi, Olive:

Their manufacturing quality appears sound or I wouldn't have posted about it. 

It is what it says.  Product has a texture and taste that is a bit off the beaten track.  One needs to develop a rhythm to squeeze out the packet into the back of your throat and then swallow.  I found it difficult to keep in solution long enough to take it in juice although re-reading the testimonials just now, that is probably the best way to take it taste-wise.

I personally only took it a couple of times, and my cancer sufferer had a great deal of difficulty complying with the protocol in general, so I am not sure how defined of a testimonial I can give for the product. 

If you have a strong reason to take large quantities of C and need the glutathione, as well, it's worth a try.  I would not suggest loading up on it until you determine whether you (or your client) will be able to develop the knack for ingesting it.

Hope this helps your decision making.

Fern

Fern Leaf
MPH in Public Health Nutrition from UC Berkeley
          Specialty focus: Aging and Public Health
NC, Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition
Member, Bauman College Board of Directors
DL Mentor

Offline OliveK

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »

Hi Fern,

I actually started taking both the Vit C + Glutathione and the Age Blocker (the B Complex supplement about 2 weeks ago and LOVE LOVE both!!! I feel the difference, especially with the Age Blocker as it has really balanced out my blood sugar levels!!! I take 2 packets of those per day and as a result, have noticed a BIG difference in how I feel. I highly recommend both products and ingesting them is really no big deal... for me at least. At first the taste was rather strong, but now I've gotton used to them. I have to say, I am very impressed with this company and the quality of these wonderful products!! The Vit C and the Age Blocker are the best!!

thanks, Olive

Offline luka

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 01:49:14 AM »
are you still taking the lypo vitamin cd and AGE blocker, and glutathione?
are you still getting benefits form all of them?
luka

Offline OliveK

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:12:59 PM »

HI Luka,

Yes I am still taking all three on a daily basis. I have noticed increased levels of energy, especially from the Vit C ... I notice it within minutes of taking the product. I take 3 packets of it daily, along with 2 - 3 of the Age Blocker. The taste doesn't bother me at all and I just squeeze the contents of the Vit C right into my mouth and drink it down with my morning smoothie. GOOD STUFF!!

Offline luka

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 03:29:02 PM »
thanks OliveK,
i got all three too, i take one vitamin C with one Glutathione,
and one AGE blocker, all in the morning, that's it...
and notice more energy and that
my skin looks better, i dont drink Alcohol and never have, but
i think its making my liver work better,
because in the morning i can just get up in go and i dont look all tired
and haggard... i know the liver is connected to the skin and eyes...
you know what i mean? its like my system is functioning
very well... i only wonder if people should take breaks from taking Glutathione
because our body makes it as well...? do you become use to it? that's my only
worry?

Offline OliveK

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 02:21:25 PM »

Hey Luka,

I hear your concern, however I'm not sure if our bodies make enough of the Glutathione to make a significant difference in our health, especially given all the toxins we're exposed to on a daily basis. I take 1/day of the Glutathione and am very comfortable with that.... on a long term basis. I don't believe that the on - going use of this is harmful in any way. I would have to think it is actually kind of like a booster, additional fuel (nutrition) for the body to be able to heal and protect itself from harmful free radicals. However I would be open to others feedback about this..... you raised a good question! I have to say that I like the fact that these supplements are in a liquid/gel base, rather than pill form and as such are much more bio - available and absorbable - that's most likely why we notice positive results from taking them!! How did you hear about this company and their products?

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 07:16:17 AM »
I'd like to add something--or a few things--to this overall conversation. I'm a fan of getting nutrients from whole foods and then whole foods supplements when supplementation is considered necessary, so this is my angle as I respond.

Vitamin C: In its high-potency synthetic form (yes, even the highest priced professional supplements), vitamin C has great clinical efficacy, no doubt about it. The use of any synthetics, used long term for health maintenance, though, scares me a little. Vitamin C is synthesized from glucose, generally from a base of corn. The companies that advertise NO CORN are usually simply purchasing the already-converted glucose (Doherty 2008, personal communication). The vitamin C, which is molecularly almost identical to glucose is synthesized from this and then has bioflavonoids added--sometimes or just some of them. This is simply not the same as obtaining C from foods and, therefore, it seems possible to me that synthetics can cause imbalances in the long run, or simply just not perform all of the functions that a true vitamin C food complex would.

My hero in the field of supplementation is James Doherty, Director of the Professional Division at BioSan Labs. His background is in biochemistry and he can quote research studies all day long (I'm hoping to snag him for the next NANP conference). Vitamin C is a well-studied nutrient and research has determined that in its whole food form--or as a food-grown supplement, with all of its synergistic nutrients intact, as found in nature--it is absorbed 5 - 10 times better than the best vitamin C synthetics. I couldn't find this exact study in my files (I have a physical copy of it), but you could contact www.innateresponse.com, and they could send it to you, I'm sure.

Glutathione--There still exists controversy over whether GSH is easily enough absorbed from the GI tract to be useful as an oral supplement. Some studies show it is, others say, no. Regardless, I'm wondering what the rationale is for taking this one supplement when there are so many others involved in liver detox function. Did you do an Organic Acids urine test? That would be a great way to determine your need for this particular nutrient, as well as for others involved in the detoxification process. Do you take in sufficient glutathione-containing foods (fruits and vegetables, fish, and meat [asparagus, avocado, and walnuts])?

I attended a webinar a couple of weeks ago, given by Mr. Doherty. The biggest clinical pearl for me was this: The cheapest supplements, which are the ones all the professional supplement companies compare themselves to, include many ingredients in forms that are notoriously not bioavailable--that's the key word. The high-end synthetic supplement manufacturers (any of the high-potency, isolated nutrients are synthetics) always tout the bioavailability of their products: they raise your blood levels of whatever nutrients are included and they get into the cells (hopefully). BUT..... There is a difference between bioavailability and utilization. Just because a nutrient gets into its target cells does not mean the cells are able to fully utilize it. Our bodies have evolved deriving nutrition from whole foods. Just because someone can note an effect from a supplement doesn't mean that supplement is providing everything it should.

Because of this, I get nervous when people get excited about this or that supplement without knowing whether they require it in high doses and without making an effort to obtain adequate amounts of foods containing these nutrients (and checking digestive abilities, too).

So Olive and Luka, for you to personally try these things and like them--whatever-- that's fine. But I present all this information as a reminder that it's whole foods we need to focus on. There is so much modern science doesn't know about supplements. We have only bits and pieces of information. High-dose supplementation, without knowing what your body actually requires, is expensive at best. For some people it may prove dangerous, and it certainly doesn't take the place of eating well. That much has been proven time and again.

Take a moment, if you will, to notice how you (how we all) fall prey to advertising.  We're made to feel afraid that we're missing nutrients that are vital to our good health; that food can't be trusted, especially in this industrial age; and that, what the heck, taking this, that or the other can't hurt us anyhow, so why not just take it? I am coming more and more to believe we've been mislead into believing supplements should be high-potency, isolated, pure nutrients. And don't think what I'm saying here is a criticism of you, because I've bought this mind-set wholeheartedly. It's been a long, slow road for me to come to understand that the lower potency whole foods supplements, to augment whole foods diets, along with booster foods, is probably the best route--is obviously the best route--for health maintenance.

Offline OliveK

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:52:33 PM »
HI Jody,

Thanks for your feedback.... very helpful and good to know. I agree that ideally it would be nice to get all our nutrients from whole organic foods, but I don't think this is entirely possible in our day and age. Due to modern agricultural practices and methods of farming our foods lack so much of the nutrients we need, which is why I believe that supplementation is important, obviously from whole foods rather than synthetic supplements. Also, many of us have conditions that cannot be corrected with food alone and I speak for myself having suffered from gut related issues for years - having tried everything possible to help...... and food alone didn't do much to alleviate the discomfort I was expereincing. I believe that in many cases food doesn't, in of itself, always provide enough of the specific nutrients needed to address the health condition at hand which is why taking nutritional supplements or medical foods can be very helpful and of great benefit. I understand the value of food as medicine, but also, from my own experience, I have come to see the importance of nutritional supplementation (when needed) ideally in its whole food form, instead of synthetics. For me personally, food alone has not addressed/ ameliorated specific health challenges and I have needed the addition of specific nutrients and co - factors from supplements.

anything