Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Sweet potato soup  (Read 2512 times)

Offline CatharinaL

• Alumni
Sweet potato soup
« on: September 27, 2007, 08:48:23 PM »
I have just made a very popular soup that all my four kids enjoyed. They range in age from 9 - 19 years old.

It is quick and easy, providing you have already made your homemade chicken stock (organic of course).

3 large sweet potatoes chopped into cubes and peeled
1 medium sized onion, chopped finely
4 cups of homemade chicken stock
1,5 inch grated fresh ginger
juice of one large lime
1/2 cup organic coconut milk
sea salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil

Saute the onions in a large saucepan for about 4 minutes. Add the grated fresh organic ginger. Then pour in the stock and the organic sweet potatoes. Let the potatoes cook at medium heat for about 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the stove and puree the soup. Then add the fresh lime juice and coconut milk, season to taste and reheat gently. Serve and enjoy!

Bon Appetit!

Offline MariroseP

• Alumni
Re: Sweet potato soup
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 04:46:04 PM »
Thank you for this delicious recipe!  Gastronomically, how can you go wrong with sweet potatoes and coconut milk!  Both are so flavorful.   

In trying to learn more about the health benefits of what we eat, I pulled out Michael Murray's, The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods, and here's what I found about some of your ingredients:

Sweet Potatoes have tremendous antioxidant effects due to a unique root storage protein, in addition to a high content of carotenes and vitamin C.  The darker the variety of sweet potato, the higher the concentration of carotenes.  Further, sweet potatoes help stabilize blood sugar levels and improve the response to the hormone insulin, unlike other starchy vegetables.

Coconut oil (which is contained in whole coconut milk) - other than feeling like you're in the tropics, which has to reduce one's blood pressure automatically, coconut oil contains lauric acid which helps in the fight against viral, bacterial and protozoal diseases.  Coconut oil also protects against heart disease, promotes weight loss and increases the body's metabolic rate.  I, for one, am truly happy the coconut fat myth has been debunked.  Coconut milk can change any meal into an exotic meal.

Ginger - Research has shown ginger to contain so many good properties it's hard to include them all here.  It helps alleviate symptoms of gastronintestinal distress, is an antioxidant, it's an anti-inflammatory, it relaxes and soothes the intestinal tract, has been found to prement symptoms of motion sickness, and is used to treat nausea and vomiting.  WOW!

Thanx again.

MariroseP
NE Program, Berkeley