Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Adding algae -- need recipes  (Read 6364 times)

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
Adding algae -- need recipes
« on: October 06, 2007, 10:43:42 AM »
I'm a DLNE student and recently decided to add spirulina and chlorella to my diet as I feel these booster foods would be quite useful.  My problem is that I need recipes and I'm also wondering about amounts.  I tried to make a shake using beet juice, kale, and 1 t. each of spirulina and chlorella.  I hate to say this but it tasted awful!  I couldn't choke the whole thing (8 oz) down.  The recommended serving size on my containers is 1 T. each but I thought that might be too much to start with.  Should I take them separately and is there something that will disguise the taste a bit?

Thanks for any help with this.

Offline susan

• Faculty
  • Susan Arthur
Re: Adding algae -- need recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 02:52:45 PM »
When someone is using greens for the first time, I usually recommend they start small and build up as green powders can sometimes be a bit too cleansing. As little as a teaspoon per day for the first week increasing to a heaping tablespoon over time. Adding greens to smoothies using fresh fruit and water or almond milk, hazelnut milk or rice milk is how I have found works best. You can also add a protein powder if you like. Whey or hemp powders are great and you can hardly taste the greens. Yum!
Certified Nutritional Consultant
Personal Nutrition & Lifestyle Consultant; Transformations in Health
Bauman College Instructor
DL Mentor
Reiki Master
Behavior Modification Counselor/Trainer

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 04:59:55 PM »
Okay Susan, I'll try it.  I confess my first experience was so nasty the jars are just sitting in the pantry.  I'll try one first then maybe add the other to a smoothie.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 09:20:51 PM »
If incorporating the powders into you meals still doesn't work, you can buy some veggie capsules to cap up the powders that you have purchased, no need to let them go to waste!  I am not sure that chlorella pills aren't recommended...wonder what they are bound with?  So maybe that is a strategy for the future.

The product Green Magic is a nice green powder combining greens with other things like jerusalem artichoke, bee pollen and other stuff that makes it much more palatable. 

Good luck!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 07:06:56 AM »
Where would I get veggie caps?  I've not seen them before.  Please remember I'm in CT so stores in CA don't really work for me :-)

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 09:28:24 AM »
You should be able to get them at a health food store, if you have one in your vicinity, or maybe in a pharmacy.  Watch out for caps made of gelatin, those are made with animal byproducts....check out this online retailer for vegetarian caps:
http://www.capsuline.com/?gclid=CNaPrIDqk48CFSUYagodtkXDew

You just need the caps, put the powder in a bowl and scoop it up into the caps.  It's quite easy.

Nutrition Consultant

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 09:59:10 AM »
Thank you for the link.  Next question...how do I know what size caps I need?

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 11:44:04 AM »
The size "0" holds a 1/4 teaspoon.  That is sort of a typical size....to me it looks like a typical capsule size.

I just put the link in there as an example of what the caps are.  I would suggest looking for a bag of these in you local area.  I bought a bag of 250 for ~$5.00, by the company Now at Whole Foods.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 11:53:52 AM by Marlina E »
Nutrition Consultant

Offline EllenT

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 05:01:56 PM »
I have been adding my green powders to just about everything lately-- sweet smoothies with banana, berries, rice milk, whey powder, protein powder, granular lecithin, etc.; sprinkling it in veggie wraps or on salads along with nutritional yeast (can't even taste it!); sometimes even on popcorn for a snack!  I'll only use about 1-2 tsp. total each day, but I find that by using small amounts at each meal, it is very easy (and fun) to incorporate this valuable nutritional resource into my diet.