Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Is there any new mothers out there completing NE or NC courses?  (Read 8456 times)

Offline AnnaD

• Alumni
Is there any new mothers out there completing NE or NC courses?
« on: November 05, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »
Hi there,
I am currently completing the Nutrition educator distance learning program and I love it, I am contemplating enrolling in  the Nutrition Consultant course when I have finished however I would like to be able to attend the classroom based course rather than the distance learning one, also I have a very busy toddler to take care of and I work from home part time, so I was just wondering is there any other new mother out there in my position and has anyone any advice?  :-\

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Is there any new mothers out there completing NE or NC courses?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »
Hi Anna,

You may try posting your question to the Nutrition Talk section or Nutrition Educator section.  It will probably get more views and chance for a response from current students. I think they may not check this section as much, as it has primarily been a place for prospective students to ask questions about the school.

I hope you can connect with someone!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Ruza

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 11:10:16 AM »
Hey! I am considering taking the NE course and I am also a mother. I have a 6 yr. old and a lil guy who will be 2 in May. I've been a stay at home mom since the birth of my first son and have been trying to decide between the in class course and the distance learning. Which location are you considering and how was the distance course for you? What has you NOT want to do the distance course again?

KellyT

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:42:26 PM »
Hi Ruza-

I am currently doing the NE DL program (half done) and I love it. I am a stay home (homeschooling) mom to twins who will be 11 in May, a 6 yr old, and a just turned 2 year old. It has really been a wonderful way for me to get back into school. What has been the best part for me is the ability to set my own deadlines and work at my own pace. I started mid-Oct and caught up with the real life class after Christmas. Now I am about a week or two behind them. I think I personally would have been overwhelmed trying to go to class and keep up with everything. That said, I am planning to do the on-site Natural Chef program this fall. I am looking forward to the interaction with the other students. Luckily, the schedule is such that I will only need child care for about 3.5 hours twice a week. If I choose to go on and do the Nutrition Consultant program I actually would do it distance learning. I like having the extra time to learn at my own pace. Good luck with whatever you decide. I love the programs and I am very glad I made the decision to go here. (BTW - It took me a full year to decide to go here.)

Offline Ruza

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:08:28 AM »
Thank you! That really helps me. I feel a bit better about the DL class now. I was feeling like I "should" do the on site class when I really feel like it would just be better for me right now to do the DL. I still need to think about it some more but your message really helps! Thanks and good luck with the chef course!

KellyT

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 05:31:17 PM »
 :)

So glad to help!
I felt exactly the same way as you, especially after I attended one of the introductory meetings they had. It really made me want to go on site! But that was just not possible with my life. I am extremely happy with my decision and it has worked well for me.

Offline AnnaD

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »

My sincere aplogies for not getting back to you sooner. Im glad that you are considering  the NE course I would highly recommend it the reason that I would like to pursue the nutrition consultant course in class is because I have found it difficult trying to set aside study time with an active toddler and working from home, Im thinking that if I attend classes then I have a set time every week to GO to class so I can arrange childcare accordingly and I might find it a bit easier to concentrate, everyone is different I know I think you have to set aside time to fully concentrate on the course (which is what I have done these last few weeks, I have set aside time and gone to my local library and this has really helped) I hope you decide to enroll in the NE course as I love it!!!
Kelly, Im delighted you have chosen to do the natural chef course Good luck with it!!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:59:25 PM by AnnaD »

KellyT

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:16:17 PM »
Hi Ladies   :)

Now that it is 3 months into the future since I wrote my last post here and we have the on-site schedule for NC in the fall, I am now deciding between NC or Chef. (Berkeley is running a Saturdays-only NC session). I have decided that on-site NC is the way to go for me, rather than doing it distance learning. I think the interaction and the networking would be important for me.

It is hard to decide!

anything