Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Braised Oxtail  (Read 2728 times)

Offline JenniferU

• Alumni
  • free vitamin d
Braised Oxtail
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:24:30 AM »
Prather Ranch has a booth at the San Rafael Farmer's Market where I shop.  I've been a pretty much vegetarian since high school, mostly because of how meat is grown and what's in it that I don't want to eat.  But now that I can get organic, naturally and humanely grown and raised, hormone and anti-biotic free meat, I take advantage of it's health benefits on occasion.
Prather had some oxtail. I remember my mom fixing oxtail soup once when I was a kid and I've always wanted to try it myself.  I still have our Fanny Farmer cookbook, so I have the recipe, but now I also have Mario Batali's Molto Italiano, so looked it up there too.  This is Mario's version....

5 lbs Oxtail, cut into 2" pieces by butcher, rinsed
3 T. Tomato Paste
2 T. saute oil (high heat)
1 T. Olive oil
1 large Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
2 Carrots, finely chopped
1/2 C. finely chopped Italian Parsley
1 C. dry white Wine or Stock
5 ribs of Celery, reserve leaves, chop stalks fine
1/4 C. Red Bell Pepper, julienne
1/4 C. Red Onion, sliced thin
pinch red pepper flakes
pinch cinnamon
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and fresh ground black pepper

1. Boil water in large pot. add oxtails, reduce to simmer, cook 10 minutes. Drain oxtail,
   reserve 2 cups of broth, discard the rest, set aside. Dissolve the tomato pste in broth,
   set aside.
2. In dutch oven, heat 2 T. of saute oil, add oxtail, a few pieces at a time, brown on all
   sides, transfer to a plate.
3. Add onion, garlic, carrots and half the parsley to pot and saute until the veggies are         
   browned. Return oxtail to pot, add wine or stock, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to             
   simmer and cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half.
4. Pour tomato-broth mixture over the meat. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Add celery,
   cook 15 minutes.  Remover from heat and transfer oxtails to platter to cool.
5. Remove meat from bones; this will take time, but it's worth it. Stir meat into sauce,
   bring to boil, stir occasionally.
6. Meanwhile mix celery leaves, remaining parsley, red pepper, red onion, pepper
   flakes, cinnamon together. Toss with olive oil and lemon juice.  Season with salt and
   pepper.
7. Serve on warmed plates with celery mixture on top.

This is a very warm, bone mineral rich dish to serve with lots of salad and veggies.
6 servings.