Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Visualize Whirled Peas  (Read 2089 times)

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Visualize Whirled Peas
« on: November 06, 2007, 06:36:59 AM »
My husband and I once saw a bumper sticker that said "Visualize Whirled Peas". Punster that I am, I've been dying to find or develop a recipe to go with it. I've finally done it. It's a simple recipe, drawn from some online recipes I looked at and my own imaginings of how it should taste. Both the pun and the dish have been a big hit; I've gotten asked for the recipe by several people, and all but the staunchest vegetable haters have gobbled it down. Also, at Fall pot lucks, it's a brilliant green in a sea of brown tofu, brown rice and lentil dishes. In fact, it's almost shockingly green. If the pun doesn't suit you, it's really just a pea paté.

Visualize Whirled Peas

2 10oz packages frozen, organic green peas, thawed (Use fresh, of course, if you like)
4 oz. organic spinach leaves (I used the tiny ones)
2 - 3 gloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 tsp. dried cilantro, OR 1 Tbs. fresh and coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. lemon zest
1/4 cup organic extra virgin olive oil (less is OK, if you want)
Sea salt to taste

Place the spinach and peas in a food processor and "whirl" until they're well on their way to a hummus-like consistency.

Add in the garlic, cilantro, lemon zest, and just a touch of sea salt to bring out the sweetness of the peas and process just until everything is well blended.

With the processor running, drizzle in the olive oil. The paté should have the consistency of a dip, which it is.

Add more salt if necessary.

Serve with baby carrots, celery sticks, corn chips (particularly good, of course), or anything else you want.

Here's how I present it:  I put it in a round bowl, about 8" diameter. I cut up a couple of bamboo chopsticks to fashion a peace sign on top of the paté. I also make a sign with a card and what's left of a chopstick, that says "Visualize Whirled Peas". Yeah, corny, but I can't help myself.

Offline DoriF

• Alumni
Re: Visualize Whirled Peas
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:18:55 PM »
Jodi,
You are too adourable. The recipe sounds creative and delicious. I shall have to give it a "whirl." ;)

anything