Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Seeking a review for Cafe Gratitude  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Leah

• Alumni
Seeking a review for Cafe Gratitude
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »
Has anyone been to Cafe Gratitude in San Rafael?  I was wondering if it's good or not.  I am gluten free and dairy free and would love to try a vegan restaurant!  Also, any cool gluten free restaurants in the area?  I went to an italian restaurant in Windsor, they had gluten free pasta, it was really fun. 
Thanks.

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
Re: Seeking a review for Cafe Gratitude
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »
Have you checked out their web site?

http://www.cafegratitude.com/

Each location has the same food, because most of the prep is done at their central kitchen in the Mission district. So assuming that their cooks are proficient, its pretty good. You can be guaranteed of the quality of ingredients, they source the best stuff. And since they have streamlined their productions its very consistent. But be warned, the entrees are small and expensive. But if your pockets are deep and you are wanting some inspiring and tasty raw food, its spot on. Order something from each section and share with friends to get the whole experience. The atmosphere is conducive for meaningful conversations and complete digestion.

As for gluten free, most of their products are. But let them know your concerns, as some of the items use barley. (Although they do sprout the grains before use, which can make for an easier digestion experience even if there is some gluten intolerance).

They are mostly vegan, and none of their products contain dairy or eggs. But some items do contain honey. One thing that I highly recommend trying is their coconut yogurt. Its closely reminecent non-fat vanilla yogurt with a bit more tartness. It goes great in their Lassi smoothie (try the mango lassi).

You really can't go wrong with anything on the menu. But I feel with a blender and a dehydrator I can make the same food at home.
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline Alabama

• Alumni
  • Eat Well Be Well
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:52:53 PM »
Oooooh I LOVE that place.  I went with another Chef Grad after we finished up our course and we stayed in there for what seemed like hours.  We would simply wait until our bellies could try something else and then share that too.  It is such a unique experience not to be missed out on!
     Enjoy!
DeeAnnna Wales-VanReken
Certified Natural Chef
Bastyr MSN/DPD candidate 2013

Offline WendyP

• Alumni
    • Living Well With Wendy
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »
My husband and I love Cafe Gratitude, too.  We've been to both sites in San Francisco, but not to San Rafael.  I actually agree with both reviews above mine.  Cafe Gratitude recently published a cookbook, which I also love, although it's much easier to go there to have a leisurely meal than it is to cook it at home.

AdrienneC

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:27:35 AM »
When I was travelling through california last summer I ate at raw restaurants up and down the coast. Cafe Gratitude was my favorite. I actually thought the portions were bigger compared to other raw restaurants and the food was amazing, particularly the desserts. On your way out make sure you pick up some of the raw cacao fudge squares to take home with you!

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »
What was the name of the Italian restaurant in Windsor with gluten-free pasta?  Cool. I'd love to check that out.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline CatharinaL

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:23:59 AM »
I went to Cafe Gratitude with my class mate Marirose, we loved it. The food was wonderful and very well prepared. The staff at Harrison and 24th Street, could not have been more welcoming and helpful. There was even a couple of Mexican musicians that came in a played the guitar and sang for us. After this great experience we went to a wonderful talk with Michael Pollan, he was presenting his new book. "In Defense of Food" is a book that is well worth reading -

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:38:05 AM »
I heard back from Leah privately, the restaurant in Windsor with the gluten free pasta (and pizza and other things) is Mangiamo.

Check them out:
www.mangiamofood.com
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Glenn_Cover

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 09:37:39 AM »
CAFE GRATITUDE ROCKS!  I'm not vegetarian but am a celiac and just love so many choices.  I do need to ask about certain dishes to make sure there is no gluten.  I learned that the 1st time I went and had a really yummy miso soup that must have had some wheat tamari or regular soy sauce.

Anyway....I feel the portions are great - the grain bowls are more than enough food and I love the fermented kim-chee and sauerkrauts they use.

The desserts are heavenly - again, ask about the gluten, but being a celiac I find more choices here than any other restaurant I have ever gone to - usually dessert for me is the fruit plate, period, so I feel like I can eat normally like the rest of the folks at the table.

I have been to both SF locations and find them to be very consistent in their quality.

It is a must-go-to for any Bauman-ite - just to experience the variety of amazing sprouted, fermented, organic, etc....food that we all learn so well to worship!

Offline Leah

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 12:59:35 AM »
Hi Glen,

To a fellow Celiac, what other restaurants do you go out to?  It's always good to learn about new ones.

Thanks for the review!
Leah

Offline Glenn_Cover

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »
Hi Leah,
Unfortunately, I don't really go out to any place consistently.  I probably only eat out about once a month...if that - just because I usually find I can make the food that's good for me and I like at home and it tastes better anyway!  Sorry I'm not much help in that department....

Glenn

Offline Kasey

• Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
its great that so many people enjoy cafe gratitude and are spreading the word.  i just wanted to clear up a few things that people had said....
in terms of gluten, the whole place is gluten-free.  they don't use barley, only sprouted buckwheat, which is gluten-free. 
and, the whole place is vegan.  no dairy, no eggs, no animal products, unless you count honey which is used in a handful of things (but always mentioned in the product description...no surprises).
the other really really great thing about cafe gratitude is that the whole restaurant is organic!  only the thai coconuts aren't and that's simply because organic ones aren't available. 
as a food-lover, i really enjoy the restaurant.....and as an employee, i really love the people who own it, run it, and patronize it. 
next time you're in there, ask your server about adding "sole" to your drink....it's a solution of himalayan pink mineral salt crystals and they will gladly add it at no cost.

happy eating:)