Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Easy Seaweed Recipes?  (Read 6569 times)

Offline Lydia

• Alumni
Easy Seaweed Recipes?
« on: January 03, 2008, 07:42:15 PM »
Hi all,
My parents are interested in adding seaweed to their diets and, while I'm thrilled, I couldn't find any simple recipes to give them. I'm looking for something that would be an easy transition for meat-and-potatoes kind of folks. And tasty too - I wouldn't want to nip their adventurous streak in the bud! I did recommend adding kombu when cooking beans or grains, does anyone else have further suggestions?

Thanks and happy cooking!
-Lydia
Natural Chef
Mindful Meals

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Easy Seaweed Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 06:47:51 AM »
Hi Lydia,

My husband is somewhat adventurous when it comes to "strange" foods, but seaweed is definitely not his favorite, so here's what's OK with him:

I put kombu into everything that goes into a big pot--soups, stews, vegetable or other broths, in other words, anything that will be cooking for awhile. Then it comes out and no one has to know it was there.

Alternately I like to use dulse. It comes whole or in flake form, and it just dissolves into soups and stews. But dulse is also really tasty, especially when it's lightly toasted in a pan or toaster oven (200-250 degrees--dehydrated, really). I'll then crumble it over or mix it into a Caesar salad, instead of using anchovies. My husband likes this a lot.

And then, of course, there's always nori, which most people seem to like. Obviously, it can be eaten as part of sushi, but you can also make a condiment by making gomasio (sea salt and ground sesame seed) and adding lightly toasted, crumbled nori. As a kid, we used to eat a Japanese condiment like this, except the sesame seeds were left whole, which makes it more attractive. 

Lastly, Vital Scoop has seaweed in it, along with a gazillion other good things, and my most meat-and-potato clients love this stuff (everyone likes it). I've got a guy who's barely eaten a vegetable in his life using this product every single day. It's easy to use and it incorporates into other foods well. In fact, I just made a variation of Ed's Vital Chi pumpkin pie recipe with Vital Scoop in it. It's good!

Thanks for posting this inquiry. I'm looking forward to new ideas from others.

Jodi

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:30:02 AM »
I have been experimenting with Dulse and have added it to split pea soup and to corn chowder.  Both times it was really delicious and even my dubious family liked it.

Offline JessicaC

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »
 ;D I am a big fan of seaweed but I hear you on trying to get others to eat it who aren't used to it.  I like making homemade gomasio with sesame seeds, sea salt and dulse flakes.  Great sprinkle for just about anything.  If you make a batch yourself and put it into a nice shaker, it makes a great gift for your family and clients.  I especially like it on plain rice, potatoes or steamed vegetables and greens.
With Appreciation,
Jessica

Offline SheilaE

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »
There is a wonderful new book out , Seaweed, written by Valerie Gennari Cooksley. I found it at Barnes and Noble. It is beautifully written and offers a number of recipes. I just got the book so I have not had the opportunity to try some of them out, although I am looking forward to it.

Sheila

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:30:16 PM »
Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll definitely check that out.

A friend shared another recipe with me.  Lightly toast some dulse and make a DLT sandwich.  Sounds yummy to me.

Offline Glenn_Cover

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »
Also try Arame.  I buy it in bulk at Rainbow.  I'm not a big sea vegetable lover, but see the need/value in it.  I like Arame because it has a very mild flavor.  I put it in beans, soups, stews, grains, etc....and serve it to unsuspecting guests who never know the difference other than wondering what all those little black things are in the stew!  I put it in my dogs' food too - they have never noticed and greatly benefit as well.

I tried a seaweed salad recipe I saw on an old posting in the forum here and thought it was OK - I used arame, but it was just a bit too slimy for me.  The combination of flavors was OK - sesame oil and rice wine vinegar - but try it in other things rather than alone at 1st just to get used to it.

Offline AmyL

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:12:10 AM »
I did my final project last spring on seaweed and how to incorporate it into a Western diet. I was surprised to discover how many things it can "hide" in, especially with tomato sauces-- wakame, dulse, and arame can disappear into them. Two of my favorite recipes that I featured in the presentation and eat often are tomato soup w/ wakame and sea palm Greek lentil salad. Here are the basics, as I remember:

Tomato Soup:

- Saute 1 chopped onion, 2-3 chopped carrots, and some herbs (Italian ones like basil, oregano, marjoram... can be nice) in olive oil.
- Add 28 oz. can diced organic tomatoes + 28 oz (or more) water
- Use scissors to snip 1/2 a bag of wakame into the soup
- Simmer (covered) 20 minutes, or till carrots are soft.
- Optional: add handful of fresh chopped basil
- Blend smooth. Optional: add organic cream or whole-milk yogurt (I usually don't).
Sea salt and pepper if desired.
This is yummy, my whole family likes it including those who have no idea the seaweed is in there and would be repulsed if they knew. :-)

Greek Lentil Salad w/ Sea Palm:

- Rehydrate a bag of sea palm in warm water: set aside.
- Cook dried lentils with a length of kombu + some onion and bay leaf. (You can use the sea palm soaking water too, to maximize minerals.) Drain and set aside.
- To the cooled lentils, add chopped red and green pepper, fresh red onion, cucumber, any fresh herbs you like, and a dressing of red wine vinegar & olive oil. Good olives are a nice addition. Capers are nice. Whatever you like.
- Stir in the chopped, rehydrated sea palm, add sea salt and pepper.
- For a heartier, non-vegan dish, add feta cheese and/or chopped hard-boiled egg. Serve with brown rice or quinoa.

Maine Coast Sea Vegetable company also puts out a ground powder of mixed seaweeds that's awesome and can be sprinkled into many things-- egg dishes, soups, sauces... It's very tasty (and not at all fishy) on warm buttered popcorn. Turns the popcorn green, and my kids love it.

Have fun!
Amy

Offline MeganB

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »

This is a great, and easy, recipe for integrating seaweed into a meal and at the same time making brown rice a bit more interesting! This dish goes nicely with salmon and veggies.

Brown Rice and Seaweed Salad:

1/2 cup (about 1/3 ounce) dried arame seaweed (you can use other types of seaweed also)
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. tamari
6 cups cooked organic short-grain brown rice

1. Soak seaweed in a  bowl of cold water until rehydrated, 10-15 min. Meanwhile heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onion and saute until slightly golden and translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside. Drain seaweed, squeezing out water, and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, combine remaining 2 tbsp. oil, vinegar and tamari. Whisk until blended. Add onion and rice, and toss with two forks to dress well.

3. Add seaweed to rice mixture, and toss well. Serve at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate for up to three days.

- recipe from Fruition Women's Health
  www.fruitionhealth.com

Offline JudeaE

• Alumni
    • Judea's Music Website
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 12:47:15 PM »
Hi Lydia,
Here's a very simple recipe for toasted Sea Palm.  They are crunchy and very tasty and are like eating chips or nuts but 100 times better for you!

Toasted Sea Palm
Buy Sea Palm at a whole foods store or Rainbow Market in SF (in the bulk bins). Lay flat on a baking sheet and toast at 250 degrees for 10 minutes. 
Thanks,
Judea Eden, NE graduate
Judea Eden

anything