Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Yummy & Easy Kale and Tempeh Recipe  (Read 3649 times)

Offline NicolaK

• Alumni
Yummy & Easy Kale and Tempeh Recipe
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:06:59 PM »
I found this recipe in Natural Solutions magazine (formerly called Alternative Health magazine) and it’s very delicious.  I’m always trying to find ways to convince myself to eat kale, and this is the best one I’ve discovered so far.  This is the recipe as it appeared in February’s edition of the magazine, my modifications are underneath:

Ginger-Garlic Kale with Tempeh
serves 4
¼ cup reduced-sodium tamari
2 Tbsp agave
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 – ¼ tsp dried, crushed red pepper
1  3” segment of ginger root, grated
1  8oz package tempeh, cut into ½” cubes
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
2 Tbsp black sesame seeds

1. In a small bowl, combine tamari, agave, garlic and red pepper.  Squeeze grated ginger over the bowl to extract juice; discard solids.  Stir to mix well.
2. Add tempeh to marinade, stir to coat, and let marinate for 1 hour at room temperature.  Remove tempeh from marinade with slotted spoon; reserve marinade.
3. In a large skillet, heat oil, and sauté onion and marinated tempeh for 5 – 6 minutes, until onions are tender.
4. Wash kale, and shake dry.  Add to pan, along with remaining marinade; cover and cook until kale is tender and bright green, 3 – 4 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.
5. Transfer to individual plates, and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.  Serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving – 266 calories; 12g fat; 2g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 16g protein; 28g carbohydrates; 3g fiber; 651mg sodium.

I made it for 2 instead of 4, I reduced the amount of tempeh and kale but made the full amount of marinade as you can never have too much of that! 
The first time I made it according to the recipe it was much too sweet for us, the second time I only used 1 Tbsp agave and it was just right.
I didn’t see the point in squeezing the grated ginger and disregarding the solids so I put it all in.
I replaced the 1 Tbsp olive oil with coconut oil since it’s more stable for cooking and adds nicely to the overall flavor.
I also added a few chopped up shiitake mushrooms because they’re so yummy and good for you and some red bell pepper for the same reason and the red is a beautiful contrast to the green kale.
It didn’t need seasoning with salt and pepper if you ask me, I think they just put that into every recipe automatically.  Don’t know if sodium content quoted includes added salt.
This wasn’t filling enough for either of us on its own, goes great with quinoa or brown rice.   :P

Offline KathyC

• Alumni
Re: Yummy & Easy Kale and Tempeh Recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 02:19:28 PM »
Thanks for the recipe Nicola, it looks very yummy :)