Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: possible vegan chef?  (Read 9031 times)

Offline indy

possible vegan chef?
« on: January 25, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »
hi, i was just wondering if it was possible to complete the natural chef course and stay true to my morals (i'm vegan).  i'm really very interested but just couldn't do it if i had to work with meat, eggs, or dairy.  thanks

Offline Nicole Marelich

• Alumni
Re: possible vegan chef?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »
Two of my classmates were vegan in my Natural Chef class, they managed just fine.

Enjoy!

Offline indy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »
good to know, thanks!

Offline Jesse Miner

• Alumni
    • Jesse Miner - Vegan Personal Chef
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:50:51 AM »
I completed the Natural Chef program as a strict vegan. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Jesse
Jesse Miner
Vegan Personal Chef
San Francisco, CA
jesse@chefjesseminer.com
www.chefjesseminer.com
650-274-8089

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
Hi there,  we have had many vegans and vegetarians successfully complete and certify in the Natural Chef Training Program.  The only people who should not take the course are those that cannot be present in the same room with animal products, because although vegans are not expected to touch, taste, cook or clean up animal products, they are expected to adhere to our strict attendance requirements.

The Natural Chef Training program follows the Bauman College Eating for Health Model.  Although our curriculum is largely plant based, our program is not vegan.  Each week, one animal protein recipe (quality fish or poultry) is prepared as part of the Eating for Health menu along with a grain, legume, vegetables and salad. Dairy products may be used occasionally. Additionally, we offer one class specific to preparing poultry and one class specific to preparing fish throughout the duration of the course.   For animal protein recipes, there is a vegan alternative selection.

We respect an individual's choice to avoid animal products. One may take part in whatever capacity they feel comfortable with.  On a weekly basis, a vegan can participate solely in the preparation of non-animal related products.

Our program is aimed to prepare all chefs to cook a wide variety of whole, organic foods. A vegan or vegetarian chef who attends Bauman College will broaden their repertoire of recipes and sharpen their culinary skills to better serve their future clients and community.

Hope this helps!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline MarciaH

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 04:03:57 PM »
Marlina,

Do you know if graduates are able to find work when they are vegan or vegetarian?  I know there are very few restaurants (in Colorado, anyway) that are strictly vegetarian.  Perhaps hospitals would employ a vegan chef for their patients with special dietary needs?  I wonder...

Thanks,
Marcia

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »
The job field becomes more limited for vegetarian chefs and even more limited for vegan chefs.  There simply aren't as many restaurants offering pure menus.  Many hip restaurants are offering healthy foods, fresh cuisine and local organic vegetables, but they also serve animal products or utilize butter.  To remain true to your values, you may have to follow the example of Jesse and create a niche for your services.

I had a vegan live with me as he did the studies.  He cooked fish for my husband and I occasionally, because he wanted the skills.  He is still vegan, but manages the kitchen and cooks in a regular health food restaurant.  But it is only because he can "tolerate" touching and cooking the animal products.  Many people cannot.

It really depends upon your comfort zone...
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

anything