Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Feeding a Family and Eating For Health On a Budget  (Read 148903 times)

Offline ttreu

Re: Feeding a Family and Eating For Health On a Budget
« Reply #165 on: April 12, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
I know the original post was submitted years ago...back in 2008...but this is very relevant in my life.  I am sure budgeting for food is a struggle many people have on a daily basis regardless of what year it is.  For me, I am fortunate to not worry about where I am going to get the money for food but rather how not to waste food or the money used to pay for it.  I generally shop at Whole Foods or Oliver's where I can buy all my organic meat, dairy and produce all in one place.  I find it more convenient to shop there instead of driving all over town for different items, and I'm willing to pay higher amounts for that convenience.  Problem is, my eyes are bigger than my stomach and I end up composting 25% of the produce I buy.  Yay for composting, but I am essentially composting my money instead of just the scraps in my kitchen.  I am trying to be better at menu planning and organizing my week to rein in my spending.  Not an easy task.  I love perusing the farmer's markets too and find myself buying more delicious things to fill my stomach and the fridge.  So I would like to thank the original author for helping me to connect with this goal of smarter shopping and menu planning allowing me to fill my wallet instead of the compost pile!!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:24:35 PM by ttreu »

Offline taylorplatisha

• Alumni
« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
This is really helpful, as I try to keep our grocery costs around the same amount per week and planning meals does make a huge difference for us too. Great tips on taking only a certain amount of cash with you on farmer's market trips, I will be trying that when ours open up this week!

Offline melisawebster

• Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2017, 11:16:35 AM »
I agree that it is possible to eat healthy with organic, grass fed, pasture raised 100%. I do it with a family of 5! As this is the way to be proactive about your health. There are sales at every place that you shop. You can buy things ahead of time, freeze them for later. Costco and BJ's also have organic, grass fed and pasture raised items so that is helpful to buy in bulk as well. It is such an inspirational way to feed your family and know in your heart that they are getting nutritional value in everything that you buy!

Offline wendicarlock

• Alumni
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2017, 08:42:28 PM »
I'm new to the Nutrition Consultant program and am always looking to cut any kind of waste possible.  This is a great thread with a lot to work with to cut spending and still feed my family well.  Thank you all so much.  I look forward to reading the different blogs and learning more through this course and all of you!

Offline resham

« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »
Hello
As far as eating on a budget , I think wastage of food can lead to spending more than one actually needs. I have noticed with young kids who are picky  and small eaters , the inability to finish food leads to wastage of food. My goal at home is to plan to cook the portions that would be actually consumed. Will need to put a plan in place to get the portions right. It is a work in progress.

Offline jhannon

• Alumni
« Reply #170 on: August 10, 2017, 09:31:19 PM »
Hi all!
I have enjoyed reading through a handful of these posts! Eating on a budget has been a conversation at our house too that started out a little *sensitive* and has now become one of our areas where we dream and enjoy (took some time, like 3 years haha)! My husband and I have been reading different books together recommended by Bauman College, and I have been very blessed that he jumped on board the organic, non-GMO, local/farmers market way of cooking and eating. He read the Nourishing Traditions Cookbook, and was a changed man! This cookbook is of my biggest recommendations to people who are interested in organic/sustainable/healthy living, and I think it helps with the conversation of budget. The author does a great job at casting vision for WHY organic/local foods and HOW those foods nourish, strengthen, and heal our bodies. Which I think big picture vision, then allows for (hopefully!) better conversations on how to prioritize money for food. Money can be such a sensitive subject, but I really believe with great vision and great purpose, budget conversations can eventually be productive and place you and your family on the same page! I also have learned there isn't a "right" number for a budget (even though I would love there to be!) because each families needs are so different--from allergies to likes and dislikes. So I have learned over the past four years, that it takes time to catch a groove, figure out what foods work for you, which farmers markets vendors you like, and how to make the most of all the nutritional yummy food you've been given!

Offline lizacarter

• Alumni
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2017, 02:03:56 AM »
This discussion was split from a previous topic, hence the way it sort of jumps into discussion below, but you will get the idea.... - M.E. Moderator

I spend between $120 - $200 per week on a family of 6 (that includes 2-80lb dogs that I homecook for).  We also eat only local, seasonal and organic (with a few exceptions).  That also includes plenty of organic meat (both for the humans and the four legged).  I enjoy seeing how other people shop for groceries.  Its been my hobby for the past 5+ years. ;D I am always irritated when I hear others say it costs too much to eat well.

Hi Amanda
Well done you!! I think people just use the cost as an excuse to make themselves feel better.
What better present can you give yourself than good health and loads of energy!

Offline AshleyIreland

• Alumni
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »
Happy Tuesday!

I wanted to share with everyone that Sprouts has a really good selection on local and organic foods.

I usually check their weekly ads on Monday nights and write down everything that I need or that's on sale.

https://www.sprouts.com/web/guest/specials/-/flyer/store/206

I also heard that Amazon just bought WholeFoods, and Amazon is going to cut down prices !
:)

ashleyireland
eatingforhealth69803
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:14:00 AM by AshleyIreland »

Offline rosaleedrose

Re: Feeding a Family E4H On a Budget
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2017, 02:01:13 AM »
I know how it feels to spend a lot on groceries, we spend $100 -$120 a week on average for our family of three.  I try to look at it this way; by purchasing more healthy and organic foods we are making an investment in our health and the overall well being of our planet.  To me that makes it all worth it!

I totally agree. However if there's a way to cut spending while retaining the food quality and quantity, which the OP seems to have found, I'd totally go for it!

Offline jenniferbanaszak

• Alumni
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »
Hi all,
I am a single mom of three and am always trying to find ways to make my grocery budget stretch.  I don't know how prevalent the store Grocery Outlet is in your area but they are here in Northern California and have a great organic section (the one in Petaluma has a huge section) with products at up to 50% off retail.  You can really find some great bargains here, I really don't know what I would do without them. 
I have a small backyard and not a whole lot of room for a garden but I have a few potted vegetables.  A couple of friends and I get together before we plant and decide who will grow what and then we all share our veggies, it works out great for us.  Friends and I also buy in bulk together and split our purchases which can really bring the price down on things.  And of course shopping to your local grocery adds saves a ton, I always plan my meals according to what is on sale at my local store.  Hope someone might find this helpful, thanks for reading!

Offline denaloijosedwards

• Alumni
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2017, 09:13:14 AM »
I am impressed and inspired.  I work hard to plan meals, include my family and share the tasks.  I can now see areas that I can make improvements and save a little more money and a little more time.  Most of the time, I enjoy going to the store and enjoy sending my 9 and 13 yo to the store for life experience.  It teaches them about food, money and the work it takes to manage a family.  I am fortunate enough to participate in a CSA and to be walking distance from a major health food market, my CSA pick up and the weekly Farmer's Market.  WOW, until I wrote that down, I didn't realize just how fortunate I am in this regard!

Offline courtneymckiernan

• Alumni
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »
Hi there!

This post was really inspiring and helped me reflect on the ways in which I attempt to maintain a budget while eating local, organic, whole foods.  I have definitely made improvements over the years but I still find that convenience wins out most of the time, and I find myself spending quite a bit of $ on just my fiancÚ and I.  I buy most of my organic foods from Aldi or Trader Joe's, but there is no way the bulk or even majority of what I buy is local.  This is one of my only options during the winter months (I'm from Rhode Island), but during the summer and fall I can easily stop by a few farm stands/farmer's markets on a weekly basis.  I'd like to start extending the availability of local, organic, whole foods by canning/fermenting what I can buy during the summer and fall months.  Is there anyone who has any tips or resources in order to point me in the right direction?  Keep in mind I have zero experience with canning and only slightly more experience in the kitchen cooking in general :)  It's been an enjoyable (but admittedly slow) process!

Any advice or opinion is well appreciated!  Maybe there are more ways to extend the local, organic season in New England?

Thank you!
Courtney

Offline stephenrose

« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
One thing that people don't account for when considering the cost of nutrient-dense foods, versus empty calorie foods, is that nutrient-dense foods, although generally more expensive on a per calorie basis, require fewer calories to satisfy the body's nutrient needs than empty calorie foods. Reseach indicates the brain continues to signal hunger when mineral and vitamin levels have not been satisfied. When consuming empty-calorie foods, people eat an extremely high amount of calories and still do not meet the body's nutrient levels. So, although empty calorie foods are often cheaper, when you adjust for the amount eaten, they are no longer as budget friendly.

Of course, if you include the long-term healthcare costs of eating empty calorie foods, then they are even less budget friendly. The can literally bankrupt a family if a family member develops heart disease, diabetes, or cancer as a consequence of eating low nutrient foods.

Offline sherrig

« Reply #178 on: February 02, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »
Though the 2008 post has been a while ago, I thought it was interesting that grocery shopping was done first and then recipes were made.  I have looked at the grocery flyers first to see what the sales are,  looked at recipes, and then went shopping.  She goes to several places to get all of the food for her family.  I don't have that much time to go to that many places, but it is good to see how people save money and still buy quality food for their family.  I appreciate this post.  Thank you.

Offline joshpinnick

• Alumni
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
This is a fantastic thread that highlights the inextricable connection between healthy eating and finances.  There is so much noise and misinformation in the public sphere when it comes to the conversation of food quality, nutritional value, price value, etc.  The journey has been an evolution for me and my family (2 adults, 3 children) as we've progressed to a whole food centered diet.  One family member has 2 auto-immune diseases and others have shown symptoms that were attributed to inflammation.  Removing processed foods has been instrumental in our journey and food quality/sustainability are now non-negotiable.  As we started this journey 10 years ago, we were shocked at the doubt and criticism we faced from family members as we implemented a whole food approach.  It shows the power of noise, misinformation, and marketing that have infiltrated common sense as well as the trade offs that people are willing to make.  We're constantly refining our approach but at the moment we have a seasonal garden that yields a fair amount of fresh vegetables in the summer months and we're balancing our purchases from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco, Kroger, Vitacost and TerraSoul.  We're spending about $1800-$2000 a month, but my goal is to get this down to $1500 by being more mindful of what we're consuming.  All part of the journey, thanks again for the helpful posts!