Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Background in chemistry?  (Read 5893 times)

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
Background in chemistry?
« on: February 17, 2008, 10:26:01 AM »
I have a question about chemistry content in Bauman NE and NC coursework.  I know most university nutrition programs require quite a few semesters of coursework in Chemistry, Org Chemistry and Biochemistry.  I think this is a good idea, and I would really like to be able to develop a competent understanding of Chemistry as it pertains to Nutrition.  How much Chemistry is included in Bauman coursework?  Would it be wise to "refresh" one's understanding before starting the NE or NC coursework? I would think I would need a fairly good understaning of Chemisty to really understand and absorb clinical nutrition journal articles and other research, right? Anyone have thoughts on this? :)

Offline Cathy Crystal

• Academic Supervisor, DL Administrator
  • Faculty
  • Herbalist, Yoga Instructor, Organic Farmer, Dancer
Re: Background in chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:52:58 AM »
Currenty there is not much chemistry involved in the Bauman College coursework. We study digestive physiology, the organs of digestion and how they work, and in the clinical level we discuss some cellular processes. WIth macronutrients, we discuss the molecular make up in basic terms, and in micronutrients we differentiate heavy metals (toxic) from nutritional metals, but that is about it. It of course can be to your advantage to have a background in bichemistry coming in to the program so you have a deeper understanding of the material, but it is by no means necessary.

Our focus is on Eating For Health; learning to helping people make permanant lifestyle changes in the foods they eat, as well as other areas of their life.
Cathy

Offline Ed Bauman

• President
  • Faculty
Re: Background in chemistry?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 04:37:43 PM »
In earlier versions of the program we taught a biochemistry course that was based upon the university model. What we found is that it had surprisingly little application to whole food nutrition. We recently created a special Nutritional Biochemistry course which was created by Sondra Barrett, Ph.D., one of our faculty. We plan to offer this as an on line continuing education course for our students and graduates.

Within the NE and NC courses are an educator's guide to the chemistry of whole foods that speaks to the structure and function of macronutritients (proteins, fats and carbohydrates), micronutrients (vitamins and minerals), and phytonutrients (active plant alkaloids). The effect of atoms, molecules, cells within the internal and external environment is what triggers gene expression toward health or illness. Cell signaling and communication is at the heart of neuro-endocrine  function, which we described in great detail in our NC course. The chemistry of foods as they are effected by growing conditions, genetic modification of seeds, commercial travel, irradiation, and modern cooking and processing is the kind of chemistry that I am interested in bringing forward in our course as it becomes better understood. The conventional explanation of organic and inorganic chemistry is fascinating and can be taken by a person wanting to learn this language, but it is not a pre-requisite for our course.

In some cases, folks need to unlearn what was in a text that has been found to be different than previously stated. Thanks so much for your thoughtful inquiry and interest in having a very strong foundation from which to work. Expect our on-line biochemistry course by summer, 2008.
President, Bauman College
Clinical Director, Bauman Nutrition Clinic
Facilitator, Vitality Fasting Retreats
Ph.D. in Health Promotion, U of New Mexico
M.Ed. in Education, U of Massachusetts
President, Board of Directors, NANP
Faculty, JFKU,New College