Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Health Implications of Flouride in Drinking Water  (Read 5063 times)

Offline KarenHa

• Alumni
Health Implications of Flouride in Drinking Water
« on: March 04, 2008, 03:54:12 PM »
Check out the warning label on a standard tube of toothpaste.  It notes that the amount of flouride in a single brushing (.25 mg.) should not be swallowed, and if it is, the label says that you should contact a Poison Control Center.  Interestingly, that's the same amount that is in the average glass of tap water. For more info, check out Flouride Action Network's quick video showing the major concerns of flouride in drinking water.
   http://www.flouridealert.org/

Offline ValerieM

• Alumni
Re: Health Implications of Flouride in Drinking Water
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 06:31:43 PM »
Thank you for posting this, I am going to pass this one along for sure!!

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 05:52:26 AM »
Flouridated water and toothpaste is one of the suspects in the hypothyroid epidemic we seem to be experiencing. That and the bromide they use in commercial breads and as a pesticide, in the form of methyl bromide (think strawberries). They're both halogens, as is iodine, and they compete with iodine in the thyroid.

AbbyB

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 05:43:59 PM »
I've been considering buying a water filter to remove the fluoride, but I'm getting bogged down. I understand that reverse osmosis is the way to go, but is there a specific brand that's really good?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Abby

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:13:51 AM »
There have been some discussions about water filters in this forum in the past, do a search for that.  I have a Multi-Pure filter....they apparently don't remove the minerals with the "bad" stuff, unlike RO, which removes everything....
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline AmyB

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:31:23 AM »
I find it very frightening that people are "forced" into consuming fluoride every time they drink a glass of tap water.  And how about all those fluoride treatments dentists give kids to "strengthen" their teeth? 
wife, mother, vegan, activist,
nature lover/treehugger, student

Offline MaryO

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »
Most Dental Professionals advocate the use of fluoride because it helps to strengthen teeth.  Prescribing fluoride on an individual basis can be advantageous in preventing or reversing tooth decay by enhancing remineralization.  Because it is not an essential nutrient and it is considered a toxin, it should not be added to community drinking water.  It is a substance never meant for ingestion.  It is important that it is not swallowed.  It's toxic effects accumulate in the bones and tissues and it facilitates the uptake of aluminum.  There are toothpastes without fluoride, however, there aren't many. 

anything