Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Brazil Nut Milk  (Read 11792 times)

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Brazil Nut Milk
« on: March 31, 2008, 07:08:07 PM »
I'm a recent convert to Brazil nuts. They're mild, like almonds, but the organic ones are quite a bit less expensive, and there's no worries about all the pasteurization processes. Plus, they're high in selenium, which is cancer protective and can lower autoantibodies (I have Hashimoto's).

I got a little experimental and made some nut milk from them. I liked it right away, but the proof is always if Scott, my husband likes it. I love him dearly, but he has major 'whitebread' taste buds some of the time (he made me put in "some of the time"). I'm lucky to have him; he helps me gauge how successful my recipes will be in the "real" world. His opinion about this milk is that it tastes just like low-fat milk. He likes it a lot. Thinks it should be marketed. Here's how I made it:

1 cup organic Brazil nuts, soaked in water overnight.

Put in blender with enough water to make 1 quart, and a dash of salt to make the flavor a bit fuller.

Blend till smooth.

Drain through 1 layer of cheesecloth in a strainer.

It doesn't get any easier than that.

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
Re: Brazil Nut Milk
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:42:28 AM »
Sounds great!  I am wary of almond milk, both for the cost and the pasteurization!

I can't wait to try your recipe!

How long do you think the fresh brazil nut milk will last in the fridge?   :)

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »
Hi Kes,

I have no idea. I brought my quart to a group gathering of some friends, and everyone liked it so much, it was gone in a flash. My guess is that it won't last that long because it's fresh, living food.

Offline blujay

• Alumni
    • Herb'n Culture.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
Where do you find organic Brazil Nuts? As far as I know the tree can't be domesticated for plantations, so all commercial brazil nuts are wild harvested. But I would be concerned about the handling and packaging, for all nuts and grains and seeds are susceptible  to molds and fungus that produce Aflotoxins. (which is what alot of people actually have reactions to)

You are wise to soak your nuts, I would also recommend adding a little bit of Bentonite clay to the soaking water to absorb some of these toxins, plus it will provide some minerals for sprouting nuts and seeds that can sprout. Just be sure to rinse away the clay, it can interfere with mineral absorption. (gosh, there is so much to learn about the food we eat...)

Best Health to you all
Tell me what you eat, and I'll tell you what you will become!

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:27:32 PM »
I, too, was wondering how these nuts could be organic, but that's what the package says. They're from Peru, and I get them through UNFIW, one of the 2 major distributors to the natural foods grocery stores.

Looks like the protocol to avoid aflatoxin contamination is pretty strict, though, just like with a lot of other things in life, we have to trust our health to strangers. I just finished researching and writing an article on drinking water and, truth be told, I'll take aflatoxin over most of what's in our "purified" tap water and a lot of the bottled waters.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »
Yummy, we just made your brazil nut milk last night.  We loved it!  Not sure I can totally agree that it tastes like cow milk, but it tastes like brazil nuts to me, mild and yummy.

I got my organic brazil nuts in the bulk section of Oliver's Market in Cotati. They seemed to smell fine.

Thanks for sharing this.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

AbbyB

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 09:18:16 PM »
I got carried away with Brazil nuts a few days ago (after I found out how high in selenium they are!) and I bought a huge bag. Now I realize that I can't eat so many of them before they go rancid. I put them in the refrigerator - will this help at all? Can they be frozen?

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 07:31:18 AM »
Abby,

Mine are in the freezer. I keep all my bulk items, such as nuts there. I figure it's got to preserve them at least a little. With more delicate foods, I vacuum seal them first. Vacuum sealers aren't very expensive and they do preserve foods quite a bit longer. I realize it's plastic we're sealing food in, but hey, denial's a great place to be sometimes.

AbbyB

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 10:27:30 AM »
Keeping everything in the freezer is a great idea. So far, I have my flaxseed, wheat germ, and berries in the freezer, so I'll add the nuts :)

Interesting about the vacuum sealer; I've been debating whether to buy one. Sounds like the advantages outweigh the dangers of plastic! I hate to throw food away.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 05:53:10 PM »
The Nutmilk seems to last up to 4 days in the fridge, by my account.  Yesterday I used some to make mashed potatoes...

Awesome. Recipe. Jodi!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 04:26:25 AM »
This was delicious.  I liked it to much I went online and bought straining bags so that I can stop throwing out so much cheesecloth.  (it was either that or (clean) old socks LOL).  I'm excited about making other nut milks as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Offline Brazil Nuts

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 12:29:03 PM »
What to do with the solid nut matter after straining out the liquid?

Serve on a plate and sprinkle some raisins on it. Absolutely delicious.

Even better, pour some natural (home made) yogurt on top the brazil nuts and raisins and mix into a lovely thick and creamy mixture, then eat with a spoon. It's like a fantastic dessert!

;D

Offline AmyB

• Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »
I make Brazil nut milk at least once a week, it's so delicious!  I find if I add a small amount of vanilla and a sweetener such as agave or maple syrup, my son is more likely to enjoy it too. 

I freeze the leftover nut pulp, and when I have a large amount saved I use it to make truffles:

Mix the nut pulp in a bowl with nut or seed butter, (such as almond, tahini, cashew, etc.) add a little maple syrup, a tiny pinch of salt, and a decent amount of cocoa powder.  Taste as you go along to find the ratio you prefer of sweetness and chocolate flavor.  You want the mixture to be fairly stiff.  Then put it in the refrigerator to firm up, and when it's no longer gooey roll it into balls.  My family likes them rolled in shredded coconut or cocoa powder. 
Keep them in the refrigerator or freezer.
wife, mother, vegan, activist,
nature lover/treehugger, student

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 04:25:52 PM »
Amy, thanks for that recipe. I was trying to figure something out for Valentines Day and for a coming Yoga retreat that I'm catering. Sounds like these will work nicely.