Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Coconut Kefir  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Leah Vachani

• Alumni
    • Holistic Family Wellness
Coconut Kefir
« on: April 15, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
I had never heard of this!  Great option for DF diets!!!
Check it out at: http://bodyecology.com/mcoconutkefir.php (has lots of pics, so I couldn't just cut and paste)

Leah
Leah Vachani, BS, NC
Holistic Nutrition Consultant

2910 Camino Diablo, Suite 210
Walnut Creek, CA  94597
(925) 951-7136
Leah@HFWellness.com
hfwellness.com

Go to my website to sign up for a free newsletter providing health and wellness tips, upcoming events, and special offers!

Offline NatashaLL

• Alumni
  • BA Economics
    • Little Field of Greens
Re: Coconut Kefir
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 03:36:33 PM »
Hi Leah,
This stuff is amazing. I have been a believer for the last two years. One of the best ways to incorporate this into your diet is to get a group of people together and split the responsibilities. I do this on a monthly basis now with a group of friends and we spend about 3 hours cracking coconuts and making coconut kefi and coconut kefir yogurt.
You can get the young coconuts for about $1 each from stores like Ranch 99. Other than that you need some clean (sterilized - try to make sure there is no soap whatsoever) mason jars, kefir starter packs which you can get off amazon, and a sterilized pot, a thermometer, mallet and cleaver.
We have one person cut the tops and drain the water. Then one person cracking with mallet/cleaver, then two people scooping the meat out. Making sure not to get any that are bad, although the BED web site is slightly over cautious about that. Make sure to taste the coconuts too - they should taste fresh. Then we take the juice and warm it up to about 90, add starter pack and funnel into the jars. And in a food processor we process the meat, and with the starter pack already cultured (in warm water with honey sitting for 20 min) add that to the processed coconut meat.
You of course can do this on your own, but if you just double or triple the number of coconuts and get an assembly line going it is way easier.

You feel energetic after eating/drinking these, your skin benefits, digestion benefits. It is great. You can mix the kefir with sliced ginger, kavass, cranberry juice - it is like champagne. Also, you can sprinkle it over a healthy pancake instead of syrup and it is good.