Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Smoothie proportions  (Read 5396 times)

Offline JennaA

• Alumni
  • Green is next to Godliness
Smoothie proportions
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:09:59 PM »
I love to make smoothies occasionally for breakfast, however I think I am putting too much fruit in them. Is it unhealthy to have all of your fruit servings at one meal(ex. smoothie)? I usually finish with about 16 oz. with other ingredients mixed in as well.

Also, for an example, would mixing almond butter, coconut oil, yogurt, fruit, soy leithicin, and brewer's yeast generally speaking be a digestive nightmare?

Any smoothie lover suggestions?

Offline MistyH

• Alumni
Re: Smoothie proportions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »
Jenna
I would not put too much fruit in for fear of a blood sugar spike.  I drink a smoothie daily and it consists of:

3 cups chopped green veggies-kale, cabbage, broccoli, spinach and chard
1 cup kefir
1/2 cup aloe vera juice
2 tbs. almond butter
or.....about 10 walnut halves
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1 tbs. chloriphyl
2 tbs. flax seed (I have a vitamix and it grinds these nicely)

Sometimes I will sub the aloe vera juice for coconut water and depending upon my day/workout etc. I will throw a free range raw egg in there. 
Eat Well, Feel Well

Offline RaschelH

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:05:12 PM »
Hi Jenna,

I love smoothies as well!  And I always throw all sorts of nutritious booster foods in them without ever having had any digestive issues.  I think Smoothies are  a great easy opportunity to get booster foods into your daily diet  Below is the recipe I like to do on a regular basis.  It always leaves me feeling energized and satisfied.  The fruit I use is Acai.  Its a fruit from the Amazon that tastes like  berries . Its super high in antioxidants, has a great flavor, and really low in sugar. (only  11 grams) My favorite brand is the Amazon Mania. Its the only one not pasteurized. You can get it at Whole Foods in the frozen section.  Below is the smoothie recipe I make all the time: 

1 1/2 cups almond milk
1 frozen pack of acai (one pack equals 11 grams of sugar)
1 tbsp spirulina
1 tbsp brewers yeast
1tbsp lecithin granules (non GMO)
1 tsp maca powder
1 tbsp whey protien powder

Blend and enjoy!

P.S You can also add 1 tbsp of raw cocoa powder for a chocolate delight!

Raschel

Offline HollyZ

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 02:00:19 PM »
Hi1 I have been making smoothies for years now.  This is what i do.

1 C Kefir
1 C Pom. juice
1 C Rice milk
1 C Strawberries/bananas/papaya which is called the super fruit.
1/4 tsp. sweet spices
1/4 tsp of Nutra Greens & Fruits and Probiotic
Tofu

I make plenty to last 2 days.

I may change my juice and use pineapple juice with papaya and also pineapple as the fruit.

Offline DianeW

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:35:03 AM »
Hi Jenna,
I've been putting everything into my morning smoothie for almost 2 years. I don't eat anything else for breakfast and my blood sugar stays even until about 1pm. I put all the herbs I need to take and the tinctures in there as well because otherwise I wouldn't take them so regularly. Here's my recipe:
1/4 cup each fresh apple, banana and blueberries, papaya and pineapple
2 T goat milk yogurt
1T homemade almond milk
2 oz. aloe vera juice
1 tsp maca powder
1 T flax oil
tsp molasses
1 tsp lecithin powder
1 tsp spirulina powder
tsp chlorella powder
2 tsp powdered herbs.
I add 1/3 cup of an isagenix powder mix to this but you can use anything that gives you prebiotics, probiotics, enzymes and minerals. I vary it if I have other fresh fruits or want to take new herbs but this has been breakfast for me for a couple years and it tastes good and I feel satisfied. I don't even miss breakfast foods. Have fun experimenting.
Diane
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:38:41 AM by DianeW »

Offline Marnina

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 02:03:41 AM »
Hi, I just started drinking a smoothie in the morning regularly this year.  I have had a lot of the same concerns regarding fruit proportions and digestion.  After speaking with our NE teacher and researching it on my own, the conclusion was- what you can't digest you will just rid of, and that it doesn't do any harm to have too many boosters, adn to make sure you're not blending up more fruit than you would eat in a meal.

Bottom line is I feel great, and that is always a good guide!

My smoothie recipe is:

1 scoop of VEGA (plant-based smoothie mix)
10 almonds
1/2 apple
1/2 banana
tsp. maca
2 TBS goji berries
1 TBS cacao nibs
1 tsp coconut oil
8 oz. purified water
ice

I vary the fruit..it's delicious and sustains me until lunch!

Offline BruceM

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 11:30:54 PM »
Hi,

I have been making smoothies for a long time.  My old recipe was as follows:

1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
1 part yogurt or kefir
1 part frozen blueberries
1 part frozen strawberries
1 tablespoon soy, rice or whey protien powder

I have recently swapped out the yogurt for coconut milk and have added a pomegranate powder as well as a 'green' powder similar.  The coconut milk makes the smoothie less thick but I needed to be off of dairy and soy (I use rice protein powder).  I'm moving from having them in the morning to doing them at work as it's harder for me to eat well at work.  Everything in my smoothie stores well in the work 'fridge and the boss has donated a blendtec blender to the cause.

Bruce

Offline JennaA

• Alumni
  • Green is next to Godliness
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 10:42:20 PM »
Thank you everyone for the yummy, nutritious smoothie recipes and suggestions. I appreciate your sharing...

JennaA

Offline BoooD4455

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »
Hi!
I want to share one of my favourite smoothie recipe - Strawberry Banana Spinach Smoothie https://greenann.com/recipe/strawberry-spinach-smoothie/
Needs:
1 cup Strawberries
1 ripe Banana
3 ounces Baby spinach
cup Almond Milk
1 cup Water
Try!))

anything