Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Happy Belly Smoothie  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Nicole

Happy Belly Smoothie
« on: December 25, 2008, 11:36:39 AM »
Kefir + Banana + Ginger = Happy Belly!  :D

I love this smoothie in the morning or as a dessert. The kefir is full of probiotics and a good source of protein, bananas are soothing for the stomach lining and feed good bacteria, and ginger is anti inflamatory and stimulates digestion!

1 c plain organic lowfat kefir yogurt
1 ripe banana (sometimes I use 2 for a thicker consistency)
crystalized ginger (I like about 5 cubes)

optional additions: ice, vanilla extract, chai spice, coconut milk, almond milk, spirulina, fresh ground flax seeds, protein powder, etc.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 11:39:47 AM by Nicole »

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Happy Belly Smoothie
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 03:09:21 PM »
This sounds really tasty, but I wonder why you chose to use the low-fat kefir. 

A possible change for those with banana sensitivities or a desire to eat locally grown food, some cooked sweet potato works very nicely with similar results.   Instead of spirulina, try a handful of raw leafy greens like kale, spinach, chard.  The other ingredients camouflage the green flavor well plus the greens are fresh. 
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline Nicole

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 04:16:15 PM »
I have been lactose intolerant off and on throughout the years, and I was under the imprssion that low-fat versions of dairy were more easily digested by lactose intolerant people than their natural full fat versions. Is this accurate?  ???

Also, I agree that bananas are far from a locavore's friend, and I have read articles about their destructive harvest and their oil guzzling trips to our grocery store. But lo and behold I had a bunch of bananas sitting on my kitchen counter, eyeing me each morning on my way to work, begging to be used.  :o So I gave them a purpose! Thanks for the sweet potato suggestion, very creative.

Also, I read that bananas feed good bacteria in the stomach and are soothing to the stomach lining. Do you know of other foods act that in this way?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 04:17:50 PM by Nicole »

Offline CathyS

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »
i also enjoy smoothies in the morning.

my current favorite:

kale
pear
blueberries (organic frozen)
almond milk
coconut oil
flax oil
hemp seed protein powder

i use a vitamix and place the greens in first at the bottom.

let me know if anyone tries this!

anything