Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: use of nutrition software  (Read 5641 times)

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
use of nutrition software
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:39:05 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering how much the nutrition/dietary software costs that students will be required to purchase for the course?  This is one specifically developed by Bauman College, right?  How does it compare with other nutrition/dietary software on the market?  How much will it cost to keep using this software once students have completed the program and are developing their own practices? Do most students keep using this software once they have completed the course?

Just wondering, since this will be a totally new area for me...

Thanks,
K

Offline Oshyan Greene

• Director of Technology
  • Administrator
    • http://www.baumancollege.org/
Re: use of nutrition software
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »
Hi Kristin,

Access to the BCNAT is included in your materials cost and I believe it is itemized on your materials list.

After you graduate continued access is $60/yr. We provide it on a subscription basis because it requires ongoing hosting and maintenance on our part due to the web-based nature of the product. The database and software receive occasional ongoing updates, and users are able to access the foods entered by others, so it is not like having a one-time purchased software program installed on your computer.

We have a limited number of people who have chosen to subscribe to the product after graduation. This is likely due to the fairly basic nature of the program, which has been designed specifically to meet the needs of our courses, and so may lack more advanced or in-depth features that other similar software has. Of course other products are generally more expensive. If you are looking for a professional-level product you may need to consider spending $300 or more for a one-time license. Products that are often recommended include Nutribase and Esha.

- Oshyan

anything