Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Coconut Oil - Standard vs Refined - Thoughts?  (Read 8138 times)

Offline NatashaLL

• Alumni
  • BA Economics
    • Little Field of Greens
Coconut Oil - Standard vs Refined - Thoughts?
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:56:35 PM »
A few months ago I picked up Coconut oil in an attempt to add this into my diet (I am in NE 104 right now). I picked up a jar of the Spectrum Organic Refined Coconut oil. I love using it with eggs in the morning. I didn't realize it was refined until I was talking with someone and they insisted coconut oil changes the flavor of your food. I explained that I had not had that experience and they clarified I must be using refined. Low and behold, I was. So I went and picked up a jar of the standard coconut oil, and I get what she was saying - this unrefined product certainly smells and tastes like coconut.
So my question then is whether this refined coconut oil still provides any benefit? Also, if people are not using the refined version, are you still using this to cook eggs? I can look for recipes with unrefined coconut oil in them, but if anyone has some favorites I would appreciate that.
Thanks!

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Coconut Oil - Standard vs Refined - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:02:22 PM »
The less processing, the more nutritious, I think.  You could try Wilderness Family or Tropical Traditions for some other brands. In general, I avoid Spectrum because it is a BIG company doing mass production.  Alas, many grocery stores carry only this brand. 
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline NataliaA

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 11:54:11 PM »
Hi Natasha,

I believe that coconut oil is the best oil you can cook with. It is stable enough to resist heat-induced damage, while it helps maintaining normal cholesterol levels.  I use it for years now in almost every meal, especially breakfast and I have to admit that in the beginning I found the taste odd in combination with eggs or meat but now I love the taste and the enhanced flavor added to my food. You can use coconut oil
basically in every recipe that requires oil. Here is a good website of Jordan Rubin with some good recipes, most of them including extra virgin coconut oil.
http://www.biblicalhealthinstitute.com/Resources/TheGreatPhysiciansRxRecipes/tabid/80/Default.aspx

Regarding your question about the difference between the extra virgin coconut oil and the commercial brands here are some of Dr Mercola's thoughts:

"Most commercial coconut oils are made from copra, the dried up meat from coconuts. Using the cheaper copra-grade coconut means that the oil extracted may not be sanitary, and, in my opinion, it is not suitable for human consumption.

It must not be refined or purified. In fact, this type of inferior coconut oil is called RBD refined, bleached and deodorized.

Mass-producing coconut oil in this manner typically uses nutrient-removing heat, chemical solvents, bleaching agents and sometimes even hydrogenating processes, which can create trans fats.

Fresh Shores Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is made without heat processing. The fresh coconuts are first cold pressed to make a coconut emulsion. After being chilled to help pull out the oils, the milk goes through a centrifuge, where the pure oil spins away from the water layer. This results in a pure and natural, organic, unrefined and highly stable coconut oil.

Additionally, blindfolded taste tests confirm this coconut oil to have a fresh and mild, light coconut flavor and to consistently beat out other brands in taste. And of course, laboratory analysis continues to confirm the high quality of this extra virgin coconut oil."

I hope this information helps.
Natalia

Offline AmyB

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »
This is frustrating for me.  I've been using the refined coconut oil for quite some time because of the benefits of adding to it to me and my family's diet.  As much as I love the taste of coconut, my husband absolutely hates it and can detect even the slightest hint of it.  Is the refined oil still worth using, or would I be better off not using it and switching to some other oil for medium to high heat cooking?
wife, mother, vegan, activist,
nature lover/treehugger, student

Offline NataliaA

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 07:51:40 AM »
Amy,
The RBD coconut oil's quality, in my opinion , is inferior to virgin coconut oil. Although it has been exposed to bleach, solvents, high temperatures, etc. the refined oil is referred to as "natural" in the Western World, in essence meaning only that it has not been hydrogenated and melts at around 76 F. Yes, the flavor is more pronounced in unrefined oil,  because all of the flavor components and the phytonutrients remain intact in unrefined coconut oil, which means that refined coconut oil has less nutrients. So, by using the refined coconut oil you may be deprived of the many, wonderful benefits of the raw coconut oil.
If your husband can't take the taste of it, you can try something else. Organic Ghee or organic raw butter will be another option of a healthy cooking oil.

Natalia

Offline CarlaS

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »
Natalia,
Great question! I too recently purchased Spectrums Organic Refined Coconut oil thinking it is the best oil to use for high heat.  Now I'm reading that Spectrums doesn't make/sell unrefined oil.  What other oil is suggested and what brand name, since not all brands are equal.
Carla Stein

Offline NataliaA

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 04:18:37 PM »
Carla,
 I personally use Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil from Garden Of Life and my family loves it. Here's more info about the product.
http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/ProductsforLife/LIVINGFOODS/ExtraVirginCoconutOil/tabid/680/Default.aspx
 Of course, there are many other brands of coconut oil you can choose from, but some factors can interfere with the quality, effectiveness and benefits of the coconut oil. So, when you search for a good brand make sure it meets some of the requirements:

Certified organic by USDA standards
     No refining
     No chemicals added (including hexane)
     No bleaching
     No deodorization
     No hydrogenation
     Made from traditional coconut palms only, no hybrid or genetically modified (GMO) varieties
     Made from fresh coconuts, not the dried "copra" used in cheap oils
     Made without heat processing[/li][/list]

Gook luck.

Natalia

« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:22:24 PM by NataliaA »

anything