Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Completion rate  (Read 4626 times)

Offline KevinA

• Alumni
  • It's in love that we are made;in love we disappear
    • Mono Casa
Completion rate
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:47:23 PM »
Hi everyone,
I'm about to send away my enrollment contract for the Natural Chef program.
I notice it says in the contract that only 55% of the students finish this program, yet an impressive 88% find work in their field.
I'm just curious as to the main reasons why so many students do not complete the program? Is it because it's just that tough, or do some students just realize it's not for them?
"I wish I could say everything there was to say in one word. I hate all the things that can happen between the beginning of a sentence and the end" -Leonard Cohen

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Completion rate
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:48:11 PM »
Thank you for your question regarding our How Our Students Are Doing form.  The numbers reflected on the form represent the percentage of graduate who certify from the program within a standard 18 month enrollment period for NE/NC and a 12 month enrollment period for the Chef program.   

The reason that some people do not certify within the timeframe may include any of the following: inadequate attendance, failure to complete all required homework assignments,  going on a Leave of Absence, completion and certification after the 18 or 12 month time frame (students have up to 5 years to turn in work toward certification, additional fees apply). 

Bauman College provides an Attendance and Homework Progress Report to students three times during their classroom programs of Nutrition Educator, Nutrition Consultant and Natural Chef in an effort to apprise students (and motivate them) about their current academic standing.  Distance Learning students work with their mentors to stay on their individual timelines and warning letters are sent out to those that are nearing "inactive status" (have not turned in homework within 60 days of it's due date).  A tutor list is available to students so that they may engage additional support if they are having difficulty in their studies.  Our teachers are also available before and after class for brief tutorials. 

Above and beyond these supports, there will always be students who simply fail to "complete" their studies.

BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline KevinA

• Alumni
  • It's in love that we are made;in love we disappear
    • Mono Casa
Re: Completion rate
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:27:18 PM »
Thank you so much for your informative reply! I appreciate the transparency and the fact that these numbers are even released. I look fwd to attending!
"I wish I could say everything there was to say in one word. I hate all the things that can happen between the beginning of a sentence and the end" -Leonard Cohen