Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Cleansing!  (Read 3476 times)

Offline MindiM

• Alumni
Cleansing!
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »
I am curious to know the opinions people have out there regarding the Master Cleanse.  I did it for the full ten days and felt great but am interested in trying another cleanse.  I do not have a juicer and the Master Cleanse was easy because there was so little preparation involved.  I know there is a lot of controversy about this cleanse as it lacks many important nutrients.  Does anyone have a cost/time efficient cleanse they would recommend?  It is time for renewal.

Offline RobinH

• Alumni
Re: Cleansing!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:44:59 AM »
Mindi,

That is great that you did well on the master cleanse- I couldn't do it because I have high mercury levels and I just felt too toxic & sick.  When I cleanse I do lots of lemon water, lots of water, liver kidney tea, blood purifier tea, a flax fiber drink, barley greens, then at lunch a carrot-veggie juice, more tea and water in the afternoon, and then for dinner I make a potassium broth (I think there is a recipe in Recipes for Rejuvenation).  Before I go to bed, to help move the fiber out of me (the fiber is cleansing all the built up stuff out of the intestines) I drink aloe vera juice and take a gentle herbal laxative.  Also because of the mercury I have a colonic every day to help move out the toxins, which I find helps with symptoms.  If you can find an infrared sauna nearby they are super helpful also.  When I am done I take probiotics.
There is a great book by Linda Rector Page called "Healthy Healing"  It has been around forever and she lists a number of different cleanses that help with various body functions.  She has a bowel cleanse, a blood cleanse, a mucous cleanse, etc.  One of them is simply a brown rice and steamed veg cleanse- super simple and doable without a juicer!  I would have a look in there for one that appeals to you.  I like the one above because it is all vegetable based which is great for getting rid of any sweet cravings and also is very alkalinizing.  I take time off when I cleanse and the program I do above I got from a detox spa in Palm Desert that I have been to a few times.  I find it is helpful to not just cleanse physically but to get out of my regular environment and cleanse emotionally, mentally and spiritually as well!
I would be interested to hear what you end up doing,
Robin

Offline MindiM

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:06:43 AM »
Thank you so much for all of your helpful suggestions.   I have not started a cleanse yet but look forward to doing so very soon.  I may just give the master cleanse another go since I felt so great last time.  I will just modify it and do it for 5 days rather than the full 10.  I agree that getting away from my normal surroundings would be ideal, unfortunately it is just not possible.

AbbyB

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:26:52 AM »
Has anyone experienced metabolism slowing after going 10 days on the Master Cleanse? I've heard a lot of conflicting information. Some people say it's the best thing they've ever done, and others regretted it.

My main concern is the potential effect on my metabolism. (I already have an extremely slow metabolism.)

Offline MindiM

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:05:17 AM »
When I finished the master cleanse last time I did gain a little weight back but certainly not all of it.  I continued to work out regularly for one hour four times a week.  I was afraid of my metabolism slowing down as well.  The way I treated the Master Cleanse was like a catalyst for renewal.  I had more energy after and more of a desire to stay active and eat well.  I really appreciated the natural taste of things so much more.  In addition, my digestion was great for the first time in years.

AbbyB

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 06:21:41 PM »
That's great, Mindi - thanks for the info.

Do you know - or does anyone else know - what is the limit of fasting days before the body starts to consume its own tissue (muscle, bone, etc.)

Is it five days, ten days?

What about fasting/cleansing for one day per week? Does that slow your metabolism? It sounds like a great day to give your body a "sabbath" :)

Offline KaitlynW

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 05:53:35 AM »
I don't think musce loss is possible on the master cleanse, because having some form of sugar, even in tiny amounts keeps the body from reaching ketosis. With the water-fasting, I've read it's very dependent on how much fat is on the body, and also that once the weight starts coming back on from repeated fasting, the body stores a higher percentage as fat than muscle. Eek! I think I got that from the book Juice Fasting and Detoxification.

anything