Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Re: Kombucha  (Read 6994 times)

Offline NattaliaC

• Alumni
Re: Kombucha
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:19:13 PM »
Does anyone have the recipe to start kombucha?  I'd like to try and make my own and I don't quite know how to do it right.  Nancy said I could get one of the mothers from the chef classroom.  I just need to know the liquid part.
Thank you so much in advance.
NattaliaC

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 05:05:38 PM »
Check out chapter 109 in your Handbook, p. 650,  for Kombucha brewing instructions.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline NatashaLL

• Alumni
  • BA Economics
    • Little Field of Greens
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
What about students not in the chef program? I am also looking to make my own kombucha and teach a few friends how to, but do not know anyone right now with any starters, nor have I made it before. Can non chef students buy starters? Is there anyway you can post page 109?

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 02:11:36 PM »
Here are the Kombucha instructions, posted below.

You can buy starts here:
http://www.baumancollege.org/forum/index.php?topic=3082.0
Or google around your local networks where you live.

Here is an interesting conversation about Kombucha:
http://www.baumancollege.org/forum/index.php?topic=2965.0
Nutrition Consultant

Offline KimW

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 10:31:17 PM »
Hello, I just posted under events an event happening in Fairfax on August 9th, a workshop on making your own kombucha.  You will also take home a mother.  The class is being held is the backyard of Sustainable Fairfax, here is a link to our website....
http://www.sustainablefairfax.org
Thanks and good luck, I hope to attend this workshop myself.

Offline NattaliaC

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »
Thank you Marlina for telling me where to find the recipe.  I started some last Friday.  I just looked at it and the mother is floating at the top.  Is that normal?  Do I need to do anything special?  Or just let it be?
Thanks.
NattaliaC

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 02:15:57 PM »
Yup, my mother typically floats, though I have also had them sink.  Just leave her in peace.  You'll get your results either way.
Good luck.  Lori, our Student Coordinator, has been recently brewing it in black chai tea...it is yummy!
Nutrition Consultant

Offline NattaliaC

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:24:15 PM »
Thanks Marlina,
Also, when it's done, I just bottle it and keep it in the fridge?  Does it have an expiration, or will it last for a couple weeks?
Thanks
NattaliaC

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 01:36:31 PM »
I let mine brew for 10-14 days, I fill up bottles until they are very full, close them and then let them sit out for about 4 days - to build up the carbonation more. Then I put them in the fridge, they will last a long time. Way more than a few weeks.  But I am not sure how long, as we drink them up.  Check out a bottle of GT's Kombucha in the grocery store.  That will give you an idea about how long they last.

Have fun with it!

Talk to Nancy Birang at your school. She is the one who passed me my first culture, a few years ago.
Nutrition Consultant

Offline NattaliaC

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 07:28:37 PM »
Thanks for all the info Marlina.  I'm really looking forward to my own Kombucha.  It smells good right now.  But, I'll wait for the full 2 weeks to make sure it's ready; that'll be this Friday.
NattaliaC

Offline Jo-Ellen

• Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 09:49:34 PM »
Hi Natalia
The recipe I use is 12 cups boiling water to 1 cup sugar, boil for 5 minutes. Turn off the light and add 5 ORGANIC black tea bags, preferably without staples and string. Steep 10 minutes. Remove tea bags and cool.  Add to mother.  Ferment 5-7 days depending on temperature in room.

I run the Kombucha to Compost classes for Daily Acts and Sustainable Fairfax.  I am doing a Kombucha workshop this weekend in Fairfax.  If you would like to come just send me a note, it is from 10-12.

JoEllen 
heart2heartnutrition@gmail.com

Offline NattaliaC

• Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 10:55:03 PM »
Thanks JoEllen for the recipe and the invitation.  I won't be able to make it this weekend, I have to work.  But, thank you anyway.
NattaliaC