Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: AUTOIMMUNE HYPERTHYROIDISM  (Read 6144 times)

Offline ern

AUTOIMMUNE HYPERTHYROIDISM
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:29:46 AM »
I want to share my experience and maybe gain some further insight, info and research regarding this disease.  I developed graves disease in response to interferon treatments for hep c which I acquired in my er nursing career.  I was given I-131 for treatment and subsequently became hypothyroid and was placed on synthroid.  Did fine for about a year then became increasing hyperthyroid despite the continuous lowering of my synthroid doe until I was completely off synthroid.  Despite remaining off synthroid for 1 year, I continue to have marked tsh depression and elevated t3 functions.  my t4 is normal but my endocrine doc said thats due to the I-313 course.  I feel great.   Essentially Asymptomatic , not tachycardic, resting heart of 70, I feel calm, sleep well and I am very regular.  My Doc wants me to take I-131 again to treat this autoimmune hyperthyroid condition.  I have been reading about triggers to the autoimmune resonse like high iodine foods and aspertame(I drink a ton of Diet Coke). I am 53 years old and Also experienced menopause during my interfeon course 7 years ago.  Anybody have any insight?  Thanks

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: AUTOIMMUNE HYPERTHYROIDISM
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 08:03:14 AM »
I work with thyroid issues a lot, but this confounding issue of interferon is something I can't address. Why don't you check out the forums on www.realthyroidhelp.com  There are people here with vast amounts of knowledge and insight.

I can perhaps give you a little insight into your lack of symptoms. I'm hypothyroid--Hashimoto's. When I started on T4/T3 supplementation, my TSH went to .01 (yes, really), my T4 was high enough to cause heart failure, according to my doc, and my T3 was a little high. No symptoms. My doc made me drive 120 miles each way to see her so she could verify that I was asymptomatic. I was.
My reverse T3, however, was low.

There's a condition called peripheral tissue thyroid hormone resistance, and that's what it was for me. I started supplementing with iodine (I'd been reading a lot of Drs. Guy Abraham, David Brownstein, and Jorge Flechas works), and I went hyper within a week. The iodine seems to have possibly both increased my own production of hormone, plus it may also have driven the hormone into my tissues. I've had some doctors opine that the iodine caused more thyroid tissue to be destroyed, thus dumping more hormone into my bloodstream, but I tested during this time: my TSH went up, and my T4 and T3 went down. Don't know if any of this applies to your particular situation, but thought I'd pass it on.

Jodi

Offline JaquiG

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 01:44:47 PM »
I see lots of information on hypOthyroid but not hpER thyroid. What happens when you are pregnant and hypER...?

JaquiG

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »
I am sure you have seen this by now, but here is the link to your forum question on this and the response from Jodi:
http://www.baumancollege.org/forum/index.php/topic,7510.0/topicseen.html
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline AndreaL

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »
I don't know if this will help anyone here, but I have been hearing about people who have had success using desiccated thyroid gland supplements which have been in use for about 100 years. Some people have said that this worked when nothing else did. Unfortunately, the FDA seems to be interfering with the availability of this right now.

THE VIRGINIA HOPKINS HEALTH WATCH
The Science of Alternative Medicine
Dear Reader,
Many e-mails have come in lately asking whether desiccated thyroid, most often prescribed as Armour thyroid, has really been pulled off the market by the FDA.
An estimated 2 million people in the U.S. take a desiccated thyroid supplement, and most find it far more effective at relieving low thryoid symptoms than the alternatives such as Synthroid. Desiccated thyroid is extracted from pig thyroid, and has the same thyroid hormone content, in the same proportions, as human thyroid. Dessicated thyroid is, in effect, a bioidentical hormone supplement.
One thyroid expert who has dug deeply enough into this controversy to share clear, fact-based information is Mary Shomon of about.com. She understands the politics and backroom wheeling and dealing around the desiccated thyroid issue, and if you take a desiccated thyroid product, I recommend reading her article, Is the FDA Planning to Get Rid of Desiccated Thyroid Drugs Like Armourů?
You can also find out more about low thyroid and desiccated thyroid in the article What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Your Thyroid.
Be sure to check the list of current articles below for new data and controversies in hormone research, including a study showing that women who have hot flashes and night sweats live longer!
Tis the season for fall allergies to flare up. If you're sniffling and sneezing, consider trying natural allergy remedies first before resorting to pharmaceutical drugs that can have unpleasant side effects.
Keep it natural,
Virginia Hopkins
Andrea Lewis
Nutrition Educator Student
BS Nutrition/University of Connecticut

Offline JaquiG

• Alumni
Re: AUTOIMMUNE HYPERTHYROIDISM and Pregnancy
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 07:39:07 PM »
I am grateful for your info...though this informs me about Hypo thyroid once again. Hyper thyroid has other issues entirely.  We have decided to go to an Ayurvedic doctor. What we have in the West arre drugs that pass through the placenta.. causing the fetus "cretinism" 12% possibilty. Risks are too high.. so we will try another alternative method and then decide the risk on the baby and the mother.
Once again
Thank you
JaquiG

anything