Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Zucchini Rosemary Soup!  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Nicole

Zucchini Rosemary Soup!
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:46:54 PM »
If your garden is bursting with zucchini, like mine, this recipe should come in handy!  :D

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large oonion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 russet potato, peeled, sliced
3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced

1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Chopped green onions

Melt butter with oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in garlic and rosemary. Add stock and potato; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add sliced zucchini; simmer until tender about 15 minutes. Working in batches, puree in blender. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook cubed zucchini in saucepan of boiling salted water for 30 seconds. Drain. Rewarm soup over medium heat. Ladle into bowls. Top with zucchini and sprinkle with green onions.

Offline AlexandraL

• Alumni
Re: Zucchini Rosemary Soup!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:57:04 PM »
This sounds yummy! I'm trying this tonight.

Question: do you peel your zucchini?

Thanks

Alexandra

If your garden is bursting with zucchini, like mine, this recipe should come in handy!  :D

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large oonion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 russet potato, peeled, sliced
3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced

1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Chopped green onions

Melt butter with oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in garlic and rosemary. Add stock and potato; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add sliced zucchini; simmer until tender about 15 minutes. Working in batches, puree in blender. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook cubed zucchini in saucepan of boiling salted water for 30 seconds. Drain. Rewarm soup over medium heat. Ladle into bowls. Top with zucchini and sprinkle with green onions.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »
I wouldn't.  I make zucchini soup fairly often, no recipe, but I have never peeled a zucchini.  Good luck!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline AlexandraL

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
I usually don't either but wondered if it was necessary for the soup. I made the soup and did not peel. The soup was excellent! The one substitution I made was that I used a turnip in place of the potatoe.

This is definitely going to be one of my favorites for fall and winter!

I wouldn't.  I make zucchini soup fairly often, no recipe, but I have never peeled a zucchini.  Good luck!

Offline Nicole

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:11:33 AM »
I don't peel the zucchini either, the skin is so thin that there is no need.  :)
Also, I like the turnip substitution, great idea!

anything