Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Green smoothies  (Read 7536 times)

Offline MichelleB

• Alumni
Green smoothies
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:02:49 PM »
For the past 6 mornings I have been enjoying green smoothies!  After going to a lecture given by Victoria Boutenko, a raw food expert and green smoothie advocate, I have been doing some research on greens and am amazed at how nutritious they are for us.  Please check out Victoria Boutenko's web site at www.rayfamily.com   

Offline Farhana Leisawitz

• Alumni
Re: Green smoothies
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
Hi,

Do you have a recipe for these smoothies?  I didn't see anything on Victoria's website.  I am looking to add a smoothie as a breakfast option for me and my family.

Thanks,
Farhana

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 04:39:04 PM »
Farhana, do a search for "smoothie" in the search box above.  You'll find lots of recipes!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline MistyH

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:43:03 AM »
My husband and I drink a smoothie every day.  Here is my recipe (it changes but for the most part it remains consistent)

Vitamix recipe for 2

6 cups of raw veggies (spinach, collard, beet greens, chard, broccoli, parsley the list is endless)
1 cup of aloe vera juice
1 cup kefir
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2-3/4 cup frozen blueberries
4 tbs. flax
4 tbs. walnuts
2 tbs. sunflower seeds
2 tbs. pumpkin seeds
4 brazil nuts
2 tsp. chlorella
2 scoops hemp protein powder

Sometimes I will add nut milk, coconut milk, shaved coconut, strawberries, banana....depends on our mood and or activity level.
Eat Well, Feel Well

Offline jennifer m

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »
Over the past year my partner and I have been making green smoothies (we burned out our osterizer, so had an excuse to by a more heavy duty, blend tec blender).

The standard recipe we use:
-1 banana
-combo of frozen/fresh fruit: strawberries, cherries, mango, peaches
-half a bunch of kale (or as much as you can tolerate, you will be able to add more as time goes on)
-handful of cilantro or parsley
-handful of sprouts on hand (fenugreek, mung or alfalfa)
-young coconut pulp, if on hand
-1 T flax oil
-juice of one lemon or lime (i really like the lime kick, especially if using cilantro, pineapple and young coconut)
-sometimes i will add vitamineral green or chlorella
*play with the ingredients...over time, you will be surprised how much greens you can get in*

This is a really amazing way to get a 5 servings of fruits/veggies ingested quickly. However, I did notice over time that the sugar was not sitting well with *me* (i started gaining weight and would get hungry quickly). But I do feel it had a strong impact on my immune system. My partner does very well on these (I think his digestion is better than mine), I think I just have to be more careful with combining fruits/veggies. It is really easy to make...which is really great if you are racing off to work, or just getting home from a long day.
Jennifer Mizel, NC

www.livinglightwell.com

AileenT

Green smoothies: Raw, Vegan, Gluten-Free, and Organic Breakfast Smoothie!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »
Here's my breakfast smoothie -- it's raw, vegan, gluten-free, and organic. As my grandmother used to say, this is a meal that really "sticks to your ribs."

(All ingredients organic)
12 oz. unsweetened soy milk (Westsoy Organic Unsweetened or Trader Joe's cheaper substitute)
1/4 cup raw almonds
1 cup cut raw broccoli
3/4 cup mixed berries (frozen or fresh)
2 tsp. cold-pressed flax oil
Stevia to taste

I don't have a taste for many vegetables -- not good for a vegan! This recipe enables me to get two servings of fresh veggies in right at the start of the day, because the berries mask the taste of the broccoli (although you may wish to start with a smaller quantity of broccoli and work your way up). The almonds also add a nice crunchy texture that provides more substance and "chew." Here is the nutritional breakdown (in grams):

Protein = 27
Carbs = 42
Polyunsaturated fat = 10
Monounsaturated fat = 13
Saturated fat = 3
Sugar = 13
Fiber = 16

I would also recommend the Magic Bullet blender, as it enables me to make serving-size smoothies each time. It's a fabulous tool not only for smoothies, but for making nut butters (or grinding anything) and whipping eggs (from my pre-vegan era). Very handy device that takes up little counter space and makes clean up easy (really, I should be on the company's payroll). You can get it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for around $50 or $60.

Offline CynthiaMc

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
Speaking of green, any thoughts on Wheat Grass and its benefits?  Any issues?

Offline CynthiaMc

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 10:03:03 PM »
Calories are an issues--any recipes that are low in calories?  Thank you.

Offline miss rael

• Alumni
Re: Green smoothies~lots of cilantro and low calorie!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 01:23:30 PM »
Here's a yummy recipe I came across on welikeitraw.com, it doesn't have green boosters or sea greens (though you could easily add them), but it does have half a bunch of cilantro, which is a great way to eat a lot of cilantro (which helps in chelating toxic metals!) and it's delicious! (Also, it's all fresh fruits and veggies-with some spices-so it's definitely low in calories).

Enjoy!

Sarma's Cilantro Shake

Sarmascilantroshake I've had only liquids for a whopping three days so far. I saw this piece about Angela Stokes who did this for 92 days. That's a loooong time! Doing what I do, it's not easy to not actually eat anything, be we'll see. Last time I tried this my energy spiked and it felt pretty good, so I'll report back soon. For now, below is a recipie for a shake I drink almost every day (even when not doing this whole liquid-only thing). I LOVE cilantro, and below you'll also find some reasons why that's a good thing (now I sound like Martha).

I add some thawed E3-Live to mine (you can dump a few tablespoons in and barely taste it, and trust me, you don't want to taste E3-Live unless you're one of those rare folk that like the taste of wheatgrass, because that's what it tastes like, funkiness multiplied!), as well as some tocotrienols (tasty), and top it off with a sprinkle of bee pollen. Yum.  If I was a guy I might throw in some hemp protein for good measure.

Now onto the fun..

Sarma's Cilantro Shake Ingredients

* Pink Grapefruit
    * Cucumber
    * Cilantro
    * Lime
    * Pineapple
    * Agave Nectar or stevia
    * Vanilla Extract
    * BIG pinch of Cinnamon
    * Pinch of salt

Directions
In a blender, (Vitamix if you have one) throw a pink peeled grapefruit, peeled cucumber, lots and lots and lots of cilantro - like half a bunch, a lime, some pineapple, agave nectar or stevia, vanilla extract,  BIG pinch of cinnamon, and pinch of salt.

More Love for Cilantro
Free radicals are everywhere - in the water we drink, food we eat, and in the air we breathe. The main defense to free radicals (coming from pollution, x-rays, radiation, chemicals, heavy metals) are antioxidants.  Cilantro leaves are rich in calcium, iron, carotenes, and vitamin C, which it happens are great antioxidants.  A Japanese investigator, Yoshiaki Omura, has made the revolutionary discovery that cilantro can mobilize mercury and other toxic metals from the central nervous system if large enough amounts are consumed daily. Reuters reports that cilantro contains a chemical which has been found to kill the Salmonella bacteria that cause foodborne illness.

The heavy metal detox capabilities of cilantro should also make it of great use in the treatment of depression, Alzheimer's disease, lack of concentration and other related disorders.  In other words, this herb can apparently help to keep you happy, focused, and sane!  Just eat it, don't smoke it.

Offline CynthiaMc

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »
Sounds very healthy....thank you so much for the recipe. :)

Offline KassiaF

• Alumni
    • miessence certified organic skin care!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 12:43:51 PM »
I've been dabbling in the raw world for years, and have found great benefits in green smoothies! It's such an easy, delicious way to get greens - and if you have kids (they usually shy away from greens/veggies, right?), it's a great way to hide them in a tasty smoothie.

Here's an ideal morning smoothie for me:

-1 banana
-5-8 frozen strawberries (i buy organic berries at the Farmers Market, and freeze half)
-2-3 stalks of chard/kale/collard greens OR handful of spinach/dandelion greens
-1/2 cup almonds (soak overnight, toss out the soaking water, and throw almonds in blender)
-2 tbsp hemp powder
-1 tbsp turmeric (anti-inflammatory -i have acne, so it helps!)
-fill blender w/ as much water as you need...add a little orange juice if you need it sweeter

Adding the soaked almonds to the smoothie is a shortcut to almond milk - normally you'd blend them up w/water, and use just the strained liquid - but this is a nice way to get the nutrients of the almonds as well in your smoothie. You can do either!

Enjoy!

Offline BoooD4455

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2019, 05:35:50 AM »
Try tasty Kale Banana Smoothie - https://mygreencookbook.com/kale-banana-smoothie/
Ingredients
2 Kale leaves
1 Banana Ripe banana
1 Apple golden delicious, cored
1 Celery stalk
1 Kiwi
0,5 lime juiced
1,5 cups water
My favourite recipe!

anything