Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Action Alert: Dietitians Close to Monopoly Bill In NJ  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Lijahdia

• Alumni
Action Alert: Dietitians Close to Monopoly Bill In NJ
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:46:58 PM »
Hi there,

This is important information for those of us who wish to educate people on the subject of nutrition. The information below is copied from the current Natural Solutions Foundation Health Freedom Newsletter.

Even Talking About Nutrition Will Become a Crime If You Are Not A Registered Dietician!

Doctors, Nutritionists, Chiropracters, mothers, friends or health food store owners (and anyone else who is not a Registered Dietician, RD) who talks about food, food components, supplements, nutrition or diets will be commiting a felony if the New Jersey Legislature passes a bill before it. 

Dieticians are not, repeat NOT, trained in nutrition and health.  They are not clinicians.  They do not deal with disease and correcting it.  Witness hospital and nursing home food and the point is made.  They are, however, lobbying vigorously all over the country to control, in a strangle hold, the right to dispense ALL, and I do mean ALL, nutritional information of any type.

Could they be supported in that attempt by the group that stands to gain most if nutritional information is suppressed or poorly understood?  If supplements can only be discussed and recommended by someone with no meaningful medical training? That group, of course, is Big Pharma and its evil twin, the Industrialized Illness Care industry.

Increasingly State Governments, urged on by Big Pharma Lobbyists, are adopting laws similar to Ohio's draconian "Dietitians Act" which attempt to forbid anyone but licensed dietitians the freedom to speak about nutrition. New Jersey may be the next State to adopt such an act. The Assembly votes on September 25th.

Read more...
http://vitaminlawyerhealthfreedom.blogspot.com/2008/09/nj-dietitians-attack-health-freedom.html

Take action in all states:
http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/568/t/1128/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=25929

Offline Alabama

• Alumni
  • Eat Well Be Well
Re: Action Alert: Dietitians Close to Monopoly Bill In NJ
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:23:43 PM »
I think this is a great post and valuable information. However, I do not agree that dieticians are "NOT, trained in nutrition and health.  They are not clinicians."  Although they are not trained in a holistic and natural form of nutrition, they actually undergo rigorous academics followed by a hospital/clinical type of externship for one year before they are granted their RD status.  I have researched this issue at great length and the reason I chose Bauman was because I agree more whole heartedly with the philosophy here than in most mainstream schools.   I think the more pertinent issue here is the lack of openness about differences of opinion within the field of nutrition.  What can we do to help?  I am excited about the board exam NANP has formulated to start to give more credibility to our own field, but I worry that unless we get out there and really protest, things are headed south.
DeeAnnna Wales-VanReken
Certified Natural Chef
Bastyr MSN/DPD candidate 2013

Offline Lijahdia

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 11:38:56 PM »
I totally agree. That is why I made a point of saying that I copied the information direct from the Health Freedom site. I personally thought the comment was quite harsh, as I also believe that Dietitians go through challenging, academic training. I was of the same mindset as you. If I wasn't so conflicted with the academic content, I would have been interested in obtaining an RD degree. Even though I am much more holistically inclined and believe in studying this course so much more than mainstream dietetics, I continually consider the possibility of becoming a dietitian. When I question myself on why I think I need to do that, it's because I am concerned about professional credibility in the nutrition field. With no disrespect to a RD degree, I strongly feel that what we are studying is much more applicable and adaptable in the current health climate. I also think this training addresses the more pressing issues in modern society such as industrialized agriculture, toxicity, food additives and environment pollution - topics I am not sure an RD degree would look at.

I guess that emphasizes even more why it is such a shame that RDs are working to gain the monopoly on nutrition advice. I think that all of us undertaking the Bauman training are doing so because we believe it is a professional, thorough course that will equip us with a broad scope of skills and knowledge to enable us to offer nutritionally solid advice and support to our clients. It would be a terrible shame for us to be considered any less that educated professionals. I am studying this course in Australia with the intent to eventually live and work in America with my partner who is from New York. Whilst I am very excited at the possibility of establishing my own nutritional consulting business in the states, I am concerned that, based on what is happening in the field of nutrition, my credentials may put me under fire.

Offline Alabama

• Alumni
  • Eat Well Be Well
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 08:01:21 PM »
I think that is great and I think that if you are moving to NYC, you will be able to work around these contingencies.  I know there are lots of folks practicing there in many capacities... lots of time it is about wording I think, but it is frustrating to have to be on such stealth back door mode when all we want to do is to be included in the mission to help people one bite at a time!  Thanks for making the same commitment that all of us have and pursuing what you feel is the right thing.  I think anyone who is not graduating and planning to live in CA will face some troubles, but it is all worth it if we just help one person to live a better life in the end!
DeeAnnna Wales-VanReken
Certified Natural Chef
Bastyr MSN/DPD candidate 2013

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 12:21:50 PM »
Here is some more information I found on what's happening in NJ.  (Does anyone else have thoughts on this?  Concerned about this?  This prospect frightens me...)

Hi all,  I went to speak before the NJ Assembly committee yesterday in opposition to their bill A2933 which would make dieticians the sole purveyors on all food and nutrition information.  The committee was chaired by one of the sponsors of the bill, Dr. Herb Conaway.  Under bill A2933, existing practitioners, even doctors, will be banned from working in the field of food or nutrition.

It was passed in committee and next goes to the  Assembly Floor for vote.  They do not expect any opposition to it.  In our testimonies to the committee yesterday it was plain that they did not see us as opposition.  We were simply insignificant to their greater plan which appears to be to push this bill through for the benefit of their special interest, i.e., the medical and pharmaceutical industries..

THEY CALLED US ALL QUACKS

The head of the dieticians in NJ read from quackwatch.com and said that it is time to let the people of NJ know by licensure of RDs just who are legitimate nutritionists and who are quacks.  Her definition of a quack is anyone not trained as a dietician.  She held a copy of and referred to the quack list from quackwatch.com, which must be true, she said, as it was written by a MD.  It says that anyone who sells or recommends supplements is a quack.   The listing is written by one who is defensive and threatened.  It is not a list of one with reason.  But, to be fair, it is hard to be reasonable about the benefits of drugs and surgery over the benefits of proper food, holistic balance and effective supplementation.

If you are not familiar with quack watch go and read the listing of who they will consider a quack.  I am almost every one of them.  And proud of it.

According to the head of NJ dieticians who spoke yesterday, in length (uninterrupted) if one is not trained in food science yet claims <<Senate attachment 7- Herbalist Charter of Henery VIII.doc>> <<senate attachment 1- Doctors Are Third Leading Cause of Death.doc>> <<Senate Attachment 2-US dead last in Healthcare.doc>> <<senate attachment 3- Life Expectancy Decline.doc>> <<senate attachment 4- Drug Co. Influence on Medical Education.doc>> <<Senate Attachment 5-FDA INDICTS ITSELF.doc>> <<senate attachment 6- Corporate Potluck.doc>> to know anything about food, then, they are a quack.  I told them I am not trained in science and proud of it.  Food is nature, not science.  Besides, science is not doing so well in the health area today.   Look at their stats.  Attached are a few attachments I included with my testimony yesterday.  Copy them pass them out.  You may <<Where have all- handout and Ealert.doc>> <<Senate draft 9-15-08t.doc>> delete my heading and put yours.  I don’t care, just remember them and use them.

The fact that we are such strong competition to their drugs and surgery is exhibited by the fact that they must license us into oblivion and off this earth.  This attests to the fact that we are having a great positive affect on the health of America.  Good for us.  We are not seen as competition to dieticians, they are basically untrained and benign, it was clear yesterday that we are seen as competition to medicine.  To doctors and their drugs.

MY FRIENDS, THEY ARE RUNNING SCARED.  I SAY,  LETS CHASE THEM!

Its time to make a stand, right here right now in New Jersey the home of big pharma and the arrogance of those in the medical sciences who show a contempt for and disregard of the laws of nature..

The Assembly Committee with whom we met is hell-bent on making dieticians the sole source of information on food, food material, supplements, heath, diet, nutrition and weight-loss.  They passed bill A2933 to be forwarded to the entire Assembly for final vote on the 25th.   Towards us, they were dismissive, contentious and patronizing.  We were interrupted, not permitted the time to complete a point we were making and many of the committee members even left the room while those of us who are opposed to this bill gave our testimony on record .  They underestimate the numbers we represented.  They underestimate the number of people who seek us out for help.

This bill would outlaw not only current practicing nutritionists and other natural practitioners but also will outlaw herbalists, acupuncturists, supplement representatives, yoga instructors, personal trainers, massage therapists, etc if they dare speak, teach, consult, practice or lecture about food, food products and nutrition...

It states in the bill, explicitly, that no but a registered dietician can speak about food or food materials, nutrition, supplements, diet or weight-loss.  It will be hard for a massage therapist or a personal trainer to do their job without speaking on food and energy supplements.  It will be pretty hard for anyone, even weight-watchers, to do their job without speaking about food and weight-loss.  The bill states that they will have to have all their claims and materials approved in writing from a dietician before that can continue their business of weight loss.

This bill even would exclude existing nutritionists from practicing.  Two such men also spoke in opposition to this bill yesterday.  A PhD of Orthomolecular Nutrition was told that his credentials would not be good enough.  A doctor who is a Board Certified Clinical Nutritionist who has been in practice for 18 years told the committee that this bill would put him out of business (as it would naturopathic doctors, Ayurvedic doctors and all such practitioners).    These men were told by the head of the New Jersey RD association that if they wanted to practice they could still do so just by taking the RD exam and by meeting all the other criteria including working a 900 hour residency supervised by a RD.  This doctor was incensed and said he couldn’t be out of work for six months to a year to meet that criteria of residency while being supervised by a RD and that there is nothing he could learn from an RD anyway.  He said that an RD should be learning from him.  And, from all of us, I might add.  Anyway, he realized that he is in trouble if this bill passes.  As is all America.

This is an issue of American freedom of speech and choice.  Dr. Conaway and his committee would wish to legislate these from us.

WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU IS:

1.  For you to contact all your friends, clients, students and ex-students and contact all ancillary businesses you can think of that depends upon free flowing information about natural health (including massage therapists, herbalists, health shops, small farmers, organic stores and farmers, crystal practitioners, reiki practitioners, vaccine activists, moms for health, etc. ) to tell them that we are organizing and uniting those who believe in the freedom to be able to continue to choose natural health care and natural products.  Ask them to contact me so we can coordinate who is doing what.

We stand now, in New Jersey, to unite for the first time.  Once and for all…

I believe this is the time to assert our legitimacy and make ourselves known as a united group who believes in the American right to free speech, to be informed and to do business.  I see this attempt by Trenton to favor medical science over natural health care as a positive.  It is a great opportunity for the various natural health fields and industries to unite and make our presence and our vast numbers known.  We have strength in the truth of nature, our constitutional rights, our God given rights and in reason.  Now,  we must show them our strength in numbers.

Ask all you think can help us in this cause to contact me if they will march on Trenton with us when this bill comes to a vote in the Assembly on the 25th.  I will try today to get a permit for that day.  If not the 25th then I will go for the 21st.  I need names and numbers of those who will commit.  We must have thousands of people.  We will not plan a march unless we have the commitment of thousands.  Send me your commitment.

2. Contact all your friends, clients, students and ancillary businesses that depend upon free flowing information about natural health to contact me as to the town/district they live in.  I need access to their representatives and I need a person or as many persons I can get from each district who will be wiling to go with me to visit their assemblymen to lobby.

3. Contact all your friends, clients, students and ancillary businesses that depend upon free flowing information about natural health to contact me as to the town/district they live in.  I need those who will write or take one of the many editorials I have written as their own to inundate the news media with them.  Every soul living in NJ needs to be made aware of the fact that this bill will lead to a total ban of all natural health info.  The businesses that depend upon free flowing health info will have a decrease in business until they fade away from lack of business.  This appears to be the true intent of this effort by the medical/pharma industries.  The sponsors of these bill are either MDs or work in the medical/pharma industries.  Certainly that fact alone gives the bills the appearance of impropriety.  Next, we will go district by district exposing these legislators to their voters.  .

4.  Contact all reps and manufacturers of supplements and ask them to contact me.  I wish to ask them to contact their friend and client list to get on board with this movement and do what they can to help us with information, numbers of people who will march or volunteer and with donations.  I wish to hire a professional lobbyist and sue the pants off that president of the dieticians association for slander.  Her words are a matter of record in an assembly committee in the form of testimony.  She lied in her testimony many times.  She told “stories” about the people she knows who went to hospitals from taking supplements.  And one who went into kidney failure from supplements.  I would like to have her prove that case in court or issue a statement apologizing for her slander.

Dieticians will not be allowed to recommend supplements beyond those few they have training in.  They have as much training in supplements as a medical doctor will allow.  They will not recommend organic or fresh local foods.  They are sponsored by Wendy’s, McDonalds, PepsiCo, etc.

5.  Make a list for me and ask those who will help us to make a list of all the businesses that support the natural health field and are dependant upon free flowing exchange of natural information for the continuation of their businesses.  Ask all representatives of organizations to contact me, for example, personal trainers, yoga instructors, cooking schools, people who have food or supplement businesses in their homes, etc.

We need the big and small to unite right now.  You small practitioners have rights too.  You and supplement distributors need to be validated as having a right to exist, a right to speak, a right to share information and experiences and a right to choose your own health modalities, including supplements.

A dietician, even if renamed by this bill as a nutritionist, will not be allowed to and will not have the training to recommend other natural health modalities.  They, like doctors will teach the public that we are quacks.  The president of the NJ Dieticians Association brought a copy of quack watch and read passages.  Anyone who is not a dietician will be designated, legally, as quacks - if they dare to speak about food, nutrition, etc.

Please contact your people by forwarding this email to as many as you can and by following the Emails up with a call.  Call all those you know who do not have Email.

We also need ideas, we need volunteers, we need people to take off from work to march to Trenton with us (otherwise they may not have a job in the future), we need support in numbers and funds from foundations, organizations and manufacturers.  We need all this quickly.  The Assembly will vote on this bill, A2933, on the 25th of this month.  The senate will be back in session October 2nd and we will not know until then the status of how they will handle their identical bill, S1941.  I will keep you posted.

Thank you for your support….D.

Dian Freeman, M.A.
        Certified in Clinical Nutrition, Holistic Health
              Applied Kinesiology and Biofeedback

Doctoral Candidate in Medical Humanities,

Drew University
                                Morristown, NJ
                                 973) 267-4816
           www.WellnessSimplified.com

Offline NaomiS

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 02:06:00 PM »
I am confused about the dates.  The 25th of Sept is today, so I believe you must be referring to the 25th of an upcoming month.  Can you please clarify when the voting will take place.

thank you! 

ps. I am from NJ and although I am currently in CA, I am trying to pass this info along to as many folks in NJ as I can reach.

Naomi Silverman
Certified Nutrition Consultant
B.A., Women's Studies & English Literature

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »
I copied this from an article by the person who is named at the bottom.  From what I could gather, it looks like this is happening today!  It is very scary to think that this is happening so quickly.  I'm not sure what can be done at this point, but I think NJ residents (and everyone else, since this is likely to spread if successful in NJ) should know about what is in the works.

I didn't know if anyone else knew anything further about this action...or, do we wait to see what the outcome is from today's activities?

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 08:34:07 PM »
Looks like the NJ Assembly votes has been postponed until October!  More news here:

http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php?p=1030

Offline Sara Jane W

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »
What is the status of this bill in NJ?

I am an NE student in Boulder, Colorado, and heard rumblings of something like this in the works earlier in the Summer.  Please advise on the status if you have an update.

In Health

Sara Jane
Sara Jane
NE Graduate
June 2009, Boulder, CO