Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: In need of a healthy version of my pumpkin cheescake and carrot cake recipes!  (Read 3381 times)

Offline DeniseF

• Alumni
My versions of these two cakes are killer, really!  So, I need a recipe that will not send my husband and I to the cardiologist anytime soon.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Denise

Offline MarianneU

• Alumni
Hi Denise.

I understand your desire to lighten up your favorite recipes.  It sounds from your mention of avoiding a visit to the cardiologist that your goal is to make the recipes more heart smart. 

I've had some success swapping out high fat ingredients in baking and replacing them with lighter version ingredients.  I haven't seen your specific recipes so I'll just make a few suggestions for common ingredients found in cheesecake and carrot cake.  (If you'd like to send your recipes I'd be happy to check them out.) Neuchfatel (1/3 less fat) cream cheese works great in baking instead of full fat cream cheese.  Low fat sour cream or yogurt work well in place of full fat sour cream.   Whirled (in food processor-just enough to get the lumps out-don't liquify) low fat cottage cheese or ricotta can take the place of some higher fat cheeses.  I often take out an egg yolk or two and replace it with an equal amount of just the white.  Less butter than a recipe calls for can often be used in the cookie crust.  Or a mixture of melted butter with a healthy veggie oil.  Sometimes when I lighten up a cheesecake recipe I'll add a tablespoon or two of flour to the batter to help it set up better.  For the carrot cake you may want to consider replacing some whole wheat pastry flour for white (if you use white flour).  If your carrot cake batter calls for butter you might try substituting a light vegetable oil; I've had yummy carrot cake made with oil.  And you might try using a healthy butter substitute for some of the butter in the icing and low fat cream cheese.  I hope this helps.  Happy holiday baking and eating!  Marianne

Offline MarianneU

• Alumni
Hello again.

Just to clarify on my last suggestion for the cream cheese frosting for carrot cake, I meant: use a healthy butter substitute (like Earth Balance) in place of some of the butter, along with:  low fat cream cheese (instead of full fat) and the other frosting ingredients.

Take care.
Marianne

Offline JeanneP

• Alumni
Hi Denise,

I am currently experimenting with vegetarian and vegan recipes--particularly for occasional baked desserts. I went to a McDougall study weekend recently and had the Raisin-Carrot Cake below...I thought it was delicious and it is nondairy and nonfat. Recipe can be found in The McDougall Program for Women on page 323. Hope you like it!

Raisin-Carrot Cake

Prep time: 45 min.
Cooking time: 55 min.
Serves 12

1 3/4 c. water
1 c. raisins (organic)
1 c. grated carrots (organic)
1/2 c. honey (or alternative)
1/4 c. chopped dates
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (organic)
1/2 c. bran
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place water in large saucepan. Add the raisins, carrots,
honey, dates, and all the spices. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Meanwhile, combine the flour, bran, baking soda, and walnuts. Add the cooled raisin-carrot mixture and mix well. Pour into a nonstick 9 X 9 baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm or
cold. May be served with a nondairy vanilla cream topping.

Jeanne

Offline NaomiS

• Alumni
Hey Lady!

I'm not much of a baker and I usually don't do experiments in the kitchen, so unfortunately, I don't have this amazing thing to share, but I know that you might just take this suggestion and try it out  :)  Let us know if you do and how it goes.  One time I made this delicious nut milk using cashews and brazil nuts.  I bet you could make a cashew and brazil nut cream that you could somehow use to then make a cheesecake, either with or or without the mascarpone or ricotta.

Good luck,
Naomi
Naomi Silverman
Certified Nutrition Consultant
B.A., Women's Studies & English Literature

Offline DeniseF

• Alumni
Thanks for all the helpful tips.  I will let you know how my experiments go.

Cheers,
Denise

Offline BoooD4455

Try this recipe - Vegan Blueberry Mug Cake  https://greenann.com/recipe/vegan-mug-cake/
Ingredients:
⅓ cup Blueberry
5-7 soaked overnight Almond nuts
DRY INGREDIENTS:
4 tbsp Whole-wheat flour
2 tbsp Sugar
1 pinch Salt
tsp Baking powder
WET INGREDIENTS:
8 tbsp Almond Milk
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
tsp Vanilla extract