Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Beware Deceptive Ad for High Fructose Corn Syrup  (Read 2804 times)

Offline LaurieS

• Alumni
Beware Deceptive Ad for High Fructose Corn Syrup
« on: September 26, 2008, 08:48:51 PM »
Please warn your family, friends and clients to be wary of a television commercial I recently saw advocating the benefits of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).  In the commercial a woman offers a man a popsicle.  He refuses because it is made with HFCS.  She goes on to explain to him that he doesn’t have to worry about that for the following reasons.

1.   HFCS is made from corn.
2.   HFCS is as sweet as sugar.
3.   HFCS is safe in moderation.

Of course, it is point number 3 to which I take the most offense.  There is no mention whatsoever of the facts which are truly relevant and concerning about HFCS. 

1.   There is no mention of the fact that HFCS contributes to obesity because it is metabolized differently than other carbohydrates causing the liver to dump triglycerides into the bloodstream.  “[It’s] like opening the flood gates of fat deposition.”  (Diabeteshealth.com, 2008)

2.   There is no mention that HFCS also contributes to obesity by altering the body’s mechanism to tell your brain to stop eating.  “This can leave you ripe for unhealthy weight gain.”  (Diabeteshealth.com, 2008)

3.   Lastly, there is no mention that HFCS is likely made with genetically engineered corn.  Sue Clarry states in her article, Changing the Nature of Nature, that “a Consumer Reports test, published in 1999, found genetically engineered food ingredients in everyday supermarket products ranging from tortilla chips and baby food to drink mixes, taco shells, salad dressings, breakfast cereals, veggie burgers, and muffin mix.”  (Clarry, 2008).  Genetically modified food has been found to have decreased nutritional value (Safe-food.org, 2008); precisely what that body needs to cleanse itself of the increased toxic burden also associated with the pesticide use and other toxic by-products of genetically engineered foods (Bauman, 2008).
Wondering who would be behind this kind of deceptive ad campaign?  The Corn Refiners Association, of course.   The very people who have a stake in America’s continued ambivalence toward HFCS. 

References:

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/08/20/4274.html (Diabeteshealth.com)
http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2008/08/20/4274.html (Diabeteshealth.com)
Clarry, Sue. “Changing the Nature of Nature.” Nutrition Educator Handbook: Distance Learning Edition, (2008): p. 139.
http://www.safe-food.org/-issue/dangers.html (Safe-food.org)
Bauman, Ed. Lecture. Distance Learning Program, 2008.

Offline MariroseP

• Alumni
Re: Beware Deceptive Ad for High Fructose Corn Syrup
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 10:58:12 AM »
I was shocked at this advertisement too.  What pleased me though was that my 10-year old son, sitting next to me on the couch, was equally horrified!!  That taught me 2 things:

(1) While my son doesn't always want to eat the right thing, he does hear what I am saying about why some things are not good for him and slowly, he will make the right choices for himself, rather than because his mom asks him to.  We just have to keep saying this stuff over and over again and trust that it is sinking in;

(2)  There is a point when children no longer view advertisement as the gospel truth.  Maybe double digits is the magic number. 

Thanx for reminding us of the crucial points for why HFCS should not be tolerated! 

marirose

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Beware Deceptive Ad for High Fructose Corn Syrup
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:37:34 AM »
It's the Corn Refiner's Association you can thank for this disinformation campaign. They're pumping tens of millions of dollars into polishing the tarnished image of their most successful refined corn product--HFCS. God forbid they lose any money while they're busy destroying people's health. My inner cynic figures they've purchased lots of pharmaceutical stocks.

anything