Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Vitality Fast Flax Crackers  (Read 2190 times)

Offline ChrisB

Vitality Fast Flax Crackers
« on: October 31, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »
I came across this recipe in my files. These crackers are amazing.

Vitality Fast Flax Crackers

2 cups flaxseeds, brown or golden
1 red pepper
4 chopped tomatoes
3 cups filtered water
1.5 small red onions
1.5 lemons, juiced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or to taste
salt or tamari

1) Soak the flaxseeds overnight, about 8 hours in water and the juice of one tomato.
2) Finely chop by hand or in a food processor the red pepper, remaining tomatoes, and red onions.
3) Mix in the soaked flax seeds.
4) Add the lemon juice, basil and salt or tamari to taste. It is important that the salt be slightly under normal taste preferences. Flavors concentrate as the crackers dry.
5) Spread the mixture onto a teflon or teflon-coated parchment paper lined dehydrator tray. You will have to spread it one way with the spatula and then the other way to evenly distribute the mixture into a 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick sheet.
6) Take the spatula and score an even line all the way around the cracker spread to make an even rectangle. Then score individual square or triangular crackers.
7) Dry for 12 hours at 105 degrees. Turn over and dry until crisp, about 6-8 hours. Periodically check as individual batches dry differently.  Do not overcook or you will lose flavors.
8) Store in an airtight container. Do not refrigerate. If they lose some crispness, you can briefly, and as low a heat as possible, bake them in a toaster for several minutes. it is easy to overcook so stay until moisture is gone but they are not toasted.
--
Chris Bauman

Offline LindaMc

• Alumni
Re: Vitality Fast Flax Crackers
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:07:12 AM »
Chris,

Thank you for the recipe.  I've been missing crackers.  I'll give these a try.

Lynn

anything