Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: My new favorite way to eat Kale!!  (Read 2954 times)

Offline sdrocklin

• Alumni
My new favorite way to eat Kale!!
« on: January 01, 2009, 12:36:14 PM »
Hi all,
I just wanted to share my prefered super-simple way to to eat all of that sweet, fresh kale that's coming into the farmer's markets these days.  Now I know that certain folks don't care to eat it raw for thyroid and other reasons, but I just have to say that a kale salad at this time of the year is wonderful.  Lettuce?  So Blah!  I love the lacinato or dinosaur kale, so dark and green.  I de-rib it and cut it into long thin slices, whatever's really fast. Toss into a bowl with the juice of a small lemon or lime, the flesh of an avocado, some salt and pepper and (now comes the fun part) stick your hands in and squish it all up!  I like to massage the kale well until all of the avocado is pretty much undetectable and the kale begins to feel limp.  This makes for much easier chewing later.  Throw in some kalamata olives, chopped veggies and whatever other dressing you prefer and it's wonderful!!  Fresh in the winter!!

Offline LindaMc

• Alumni
Re: My new favorite way to eat Kale!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:31:48 AM »
Two of my favorite ingredients kale and avocado.  I can't wait to try your recipe.  Thanks for posting it.  Linda

Offline ElizabethZ

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:43:39 PM »
 My new favorite way to eat Kale is baked!  In our NE class it was brought in as a delicious snack.  Toss it with a little oil and salt and bake it for a few minutes until crunchy.
It almost tastes like chips and my boys loved it.

thanks so much for the recipe.

Offline DianeS

• Alumni
    • Balanced Bites
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:11:08 AM »
I just blogged a recipe for baked kale. I just tried it today and LOVE it too!!!

http://balancedbites.blogspot.com/2009/09/easy-recipe-baked-kale-chips.html

Diane :)
Author, "Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle," available on Amazon.com > http://amzn.to/yxSHoh

Offline AndrienneY

• Alumni
    • adrienneats
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
I love kale baked too. Instead of salt I add a booster food, nutritional yeast, and finish it off with a freshly squeezed lemon slice!
blog: adrienneats.blogspot.com
twitter: twitter.com/adrienneats
design: cargocollective.com/adrienneyancey
flickr: flickr.com/photos/anytype

Offline DianeS

• Alumni
    • Balanced Bites
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 01:10:07 PM »
I've yet to discover nutritional yeast, what it does and how to use it. I'm looking forward to learning about it!

:)
Author, "Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle," available on Amazon.com > http://amzn.to/yxSHoh

Offline RusselL

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 04:15:39 PM »
That sounds delicious i will have to give that a try.  i like the idea of using nutritional yeast as well and some kelp to replace salt is a good way to get that flavor and boost nutrition. I need more kale in my diet and i look forward to checking out these recommendations,thanks.
Russ