Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Acid/Alkeline Foods Descrepancy  (Read 9704 times)

Offline Lisa Flosznik

Acid/Alkeline Foods Descrepancy
« on: May 14, 2006, 09:43:40 PM »
Hi,

Is there a reputable source list for acid-forming and alkeline-forming foods? I see foods on both sides of the spectrum, depending on who you ask...

Thanks in advance,
Lisa  

Offline Cathy Crystal

• Academic Supervisor, DL Administrator
  • Faculty
  • Herbalist, Yoga Instructor, Organic Farmer, Dancer
Re: Acid/Alkeline Foods Descrepancy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 09:01:33 AM »
Hi Lisa,
As you have seen there are many sources for acid alkaline.
The main thing to understand is that fruits and vegies are more alkaline forming (with a few exceptions of course) and protein, and refined sugars more acid forming. In the Michael Murray book The Enclopedia of Healing Foods there is a list in the appendix. Also I like Herman Aihara's Acid & Alkaline. Good luck! Cathy  

Offline ErikaR

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:42:13 AM »
Hi Lisa,

There is a book called The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimal Health: Restore your health by creating pH Balance in your diet By Christopher Vasey, N.D. I found it on One Spirit Book Club for $6.48.  I too am interested in this philosophy.  Form what I understand, protein like animal meat and nuts are acid forming.  It can be very more detailed in that chicken is more acid forming than fish.  Grains can be either and so can fruits and veg.  It does take some studying to get your head around it. 

My concern with this diet however, is that people tend to go over board.  I feel we need a balance between acid and alkaline.  It is when we are eating refined sugars and flour and rancid fats that the body needs more alkaline rich foods.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Take care,
Erika

Offline MeihongP

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 05:22:27 PM »
I saw from a Chinese journal that a general guideline is that foods rich in calcium,  Manganese, Iron are more alkaline forming, while foods rich in  Phosphorous, Sodium and Sulfur are more acid forming. Not sure how true it is.

Meihong

anything