Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: PLU Codes; Conventional, Organic and GMO codes on produce  (Read 7899 times)

Offline Cathy Crystal

• Academic Supervisor, DL Administrator
  • Faculty
  • Herbalist, Yoga Instructor, Organic Farmer, Dancer
PLU Codes; Conventional, Organic and GMO codes on produce
« on: October 02, 2006, 12:14:20 PM »
Is this apple orgainic??? You know those annoying little stickers found on every piece of produce in the markets?  Reading them will give important information

The following info was posted in the Chef area, but thought it valuble for public viewing. Thank you Sarah for gathering the info.

"Conventionally grown fruits and vegetables have 4 digit numbers, and generally start with a 3 or a 4; organically grown fruits and vegetables have 5 digits and start with a 9; genetically modified produce also have 5 digits and begin with an 8. For example, the PLU for a conventionally grown banana is 4011; an organic banana is coded 94011; and a genetically modified banana is 84011."

From the American Chemical Society's website:
http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/feature_ent.html?id=c373e904d137e5808f6a17245d830100

Offline deanneL

• Alumni
Re: PLU Codes; Conventional, Organic and GMO codes on produce
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 03:09:03 PM »
Cathy,

Thank you for the information on produce labeling. I am surprised to see that the GMO produce and the organic produce should be so similar! I am curious to check out the labels next time I shop.

Deanne Luzaich