Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: cooking class great for new(er) cooks  (Read 3854 times)

Offline DaraM

cooking class great for new(er) cooks
« on: October 08, 2006, 03:32:19 PM »
Greetings Bauman students and grads,

I just scheduled another class perfect for folks newer to cooking, another session of Grains, Beans, and Greens. It is scheduled for Sunday October 15th, from 6-9pm.

All of the classes I teach are held in the kitchen of my beautiful home in North Oakland (a ten minute walk from Rockridge Bart and only a few minutes from Hwy 24) and feature a relaxed and comfortable dinner in the lovely dining room after we finish cooking. The class costs $45 and includes a comprehensive handout with recipes and lots of other information and resources, a yummy sit-down dinner, and some wine. Cooking is done with as many organic ingredients as possible, mostly from the local farmer's markets. The full description is below.

Please get in touch with me with any questions. If you want to sign up, please do so ASAP. Look forward to meeting some of you here!

Dara Merin
theSageTable@gmail.com
510/914-1142

Grains, Beans, and Greens
This is a great, fun class--perfect for beginners who need a foundation upon which to build. In this class, you will learn to cook with unrefined whole grains and legumes (beans and lentils), both of which have been staple foods of traditional diets throughout history and still are in most parts of the world. Yet because these basic foods require some preparation before cooking, some people shy away from them. This class will help you break through that intimidation. Grains and beans are full of minerals, vitamins, and proteins and can be an essential part of a balanced, healthy, and affordable diet, whether you are omnivorous or not. You will learn how proper preparation of dried beans and legumes like soaking can hasten cooking times as well as increase nutritional benefits and digestibility (and why this is), while decreasing the gastric distress they are often known for. We will discuss ideas for incorporating grains and beans into a variety of dishes, such as soups and salads.

GREENS, glorious greens, will also be highlighted in this course, and you will learn various ways to cook the different varieties of these phytonutrient-rich bundles of verdant goodness. We will also have a selection of a few other seasonal autumnal vegetable and fruit goodies from the farmer's markets to play with. 

For our delicious and healthy dinner, we'll make a  hearty Brown Rice and Lentil Soup that is delicious and cooks up faster than you would imagine while we prepare several healthy, organic Italian-style dishes for our dinner feast, including: White Beans with Sage and Gorgonzola; Roasted Beets with their Greens with Goat Cheese, Currants, and Pine Nuts; Wheatberry Salad with Oranges and Basil; and perhaps a dessert we'll put together with what we've got on hand. Healthy and delicious!!

As usual, you will leave with recipes of what we have made as well as a variety of notes on cooking greens, grains, and beans. A copy of a handy, easy-to-use cooking chart will be included for easy future reference.

My experience cooking spans almost twenty years and I am an accomplished private chef with experience cooking in a wide variety of settings. I have been studying food and cooking intensely for the past fifteen years and have been cooking WAPF-style  for about three. I have the experience and a teaching style that will certainly help you learn to cook healthful food that tastes GREAT! Please contact me if you want more info on my background.
The Sage Table
***cooking and classes for culinary wisdom
Have a look at www.TheSageTable.com for class schedule and more