Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Working while in school...  (Read 4760 times)

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
Working while in school...
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »
Hi all,

I saw a similar post but wanted to ask the question anyway to see if anyone would answer more in depth...

How much do people work while in the Nutrition educator Program?  I'm sure different people are capable of different things, but are there any trends?  I'm enrolled and will start class in March.  I'm also looking for a new job and I'd like to work full time, but I don't want to make a big mistake by doing that either...

Are there any current NE students out there that would like to share their current situations?  About how much time should I plan to spend outside of class on homework?  Is it comfortable to work full time and complete the program, or is it more like "possible, but not comfortable?"  Any replies are greatly appreciated!  THANKS!

Offline CrystalC

• Alumni
Re: Working while in school...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »
Nicole,
I am an NE graduate and current NC distance learning student who works full time.  I have had no problems completing the coursework while working full time.  I have had to ask for extensions on the due dates of my assignments once in a while.  That is the beauty of being a distance learner, Bauman College gives you the flexibility to be a student while working. 

I have struggled sometimes after grueling days at work to be motivated for schoolwork, so instead I sacrifice my days off to devote to it.  It is tough sometimes to stick with it, but I find that the school work keeps my mind stimulated because my job can be unstimulating at times.  I believe the student handbook states that if you can devote 10-15 hours per week you can finish within 12months.  It is up to you to decide if you can do this.

Hope this has helped you and feel free to ask any questions.

Crystal Cogar 

Offline VanessaF

• Alumni
    • Conscious Path, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »
Hi
I completed the NE program in December. I work full time running a preschool in Marin, play in a band, have various meetings/volunteer work and functions I have to attend outside my job, and was  able to complete the course. Like you, I was also concerned about being able to keep up with the workload/reading assignments while working full time, but I did find my rhythm after a few months. I won't say it was always easy,  but because I found the information  so interesting,  I made it work.  I did spend most of my weekends though doing homework and catching up with the reading-you may find you have to do the same. Good luck and hang in there.  It's a great ride!
VanessaF

Offline AliceH

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 09:43:24 AM »
Hi Nicole,

I am a current NE student and I also work full time at a university (a job that often requires overtime!).  I feel that I have been very fortunate with a supportive supervisor and coworkers.  To accommodate class time, I have an alternate schedule at work in which I make up the hours I miss due to class the rest of the week by working either a little later in the evening, taking shorter lunches, coming in earlier in the mornings, or doing a little work from home.  Sometimes it is a combination of all of these depending on the week and the demands of my job.  Even though my week tends to being busy, it works...primarily because I absolutely love the program.  Some weeks it can be challenging, particularly when we have class twice, but the system I have definitely wouldn't work or be so successful if I didn't have the support of my supervisor nor enjoy the program. 

To complete coursework, I use my evenings and weekends.  I always wish I could have more time to devote to studying and research for the program, but even if I wasn't working, I know I would wish I had more time!  The only thing that I find frustrating at times is not having as much flexibility as some of the other students in my class.  Some stay a little longer after the class, or go to lunch, or go to nutrition related events/activities during the weekdays, but unfortunately I can't do that...I always have to rush back to work right after class.  But, then again, I know I wouldn't be able to do this program without my job and their support!

So, to answer some of your original questions...working and completing the program at the same time I would say can be comfortable depending on your situation.  I don't know if I am the norm or just really lucky, but my situation works extremely well.  I stay pretty organized in terms of prioritizing the work and reading I need to accomplish for each section of the program simply because I don't want to waste the time I have outside of work!  Sometimes I will even use my lunch break to read or study.  I feel like I have come up with some good strategies to meet my 40 hours a week, complete the reading and coursework for the program, and still get enough sleep!  For the amount of hours, I agree with Crystal about the 10-15 hours.  From week to week it can vary by how much time is required and how much you accomplished the week before.  As you do the readings and work, you will discover areas that interest you and want to do more research.  And, you really need to be disciplined and make sure you keep up with the work.  Not doing anything for a week will pile up your work plate for the next week...but if you are really interested in the program and the course, then keeping up with the reading won't be a problem because you will WANT to do it.  That's been my case!  I've actually gotten distracted by tons of other books that I want to read that were suggested in class or that I found on nutrition!

So, in the end, it's definitely feasible to balance work and school.  It's definitely key to find a job that will not just allow you to do this program, but will also be supportive of it.  I give out a lot of free advice to my coworkers so I know they're supportive! =)

Feel free to ask me more questions if you have any!

Alice

Offline ErinM

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 07:00:48 PM »
Hi Nicole,

I'm an NE distance learning student.  I work approximatley 30hrs per week and devote between 8-10hrs to study for school per week.  I have had a few instances come up that have thrown a wrench in things.  For example my mother broke her arm and as she lives alone I have been tending to her while she's incapacitated, and at work I've been asked to fill in for a co-worker a few times and have done so, bumping up my hours to about 40 or so per week.  Both of these things have taken time away from my normal routine and have contributed a greater degree of stress.  I didn't have the focus or energy I have with less time outside the home to devote to study, which I found frustrating as I felt I wasn't getting as much out of my studies during those times.  I do have an advantage in that I have worked at a holistic nutritionist's office for about 8 years and I have been basically doing an E4H diet on myself all during this time, and have watched others go through their process with it as well.  I've learned A LOT!  Much of the information and concepts are very familiar to me.  I'm trying to add depth and breadth to the base of knowledge I gained from being in my work place.  Anyway, I know I would not be able to devote more time to work and be satisfied with what I could devote to my studies.  By the way, I am also taking almost the full 18 months to finish the NE degree; I'm on schedule to be done in 16.  I've learned about myself that I need to have balance and time for all things important or else I become miserable and really what's the point of getting done more quickly or whatever if it's not enjoyable, ya know?  Anyway, I'm relatively newly married and need quality time with my sweetie, need time for exercise, time with friends & family, time for just me, and most importantly time to spend with my God; which is just THE primary thing for me.  I'm not interested in leading a crazy busy life, if you know what I mean.  I just think it's important for us all to leave room for life and not max out our schedules or ourselves! And what that looks like is to be determined by each of us as we're all quite different!  So anyway, that's my input and I hope it helps you make a decision that's right for you!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:19:43 PM by ErinM »

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:07:30 PM »
Hi again,

I just want to thank everyone for their thoughtful responses.  Its been great to hear how others handle this.

Thanks!