Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Action Need on HR 875 Farm Bill - Vote will occur soon  (Read 13949 times)

Offline RheaB

Re: Action Need on HR 875 Farm Bill - Vote will occur soon
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 08:32:21 PM »
KarenL I'd like to share this interesting information to urge more scrutiny of the HR 875 and Rosa Delauro's stance on introducing the bill. She had received huge contributions from the agribusinesses (she's married to Stanley Greenburg who works for Monsanto). During her campaign of 2007-2008 huge contributions came mostly from PACs (Political Action Committee formed by interest groups to make political contributions) who heavily influence an election. 

Offline KristinC

• Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 08:41:01 PM »
I would really like to belive that this is not a cause for serious concern, but considering who is to profit in this situation, I am inclined to be a bit cynical.  Monsanto as a corporation has openly declared an intent to own and patent every seed on the planet.  They have a large staff and a huge budget dedicated to squashing the small farmers.  Similar bills in other countries have already led to a decrease of about 60% in small farming.  It's easy enough to say that they have no intent to harm small farms and that there is no specific language to this effect used in the bill, but the language is vague enough to allow rather draconian measures once these bills are passed.  I will not be at ease until there are amendments that specifically protect the interests of small and organic farms.  
Monsanto has a long history of their executives flip-flopping between government positions and Monsanto employment, with the end result of legislation always favoring Monsanto products over the health concerns.  If Michael Taylor is also placed as the Head of the Food Safety Committee, what is to stop the ultimate destruction of organic farming in the interests of the agri-monsters?  With the governmental stamp of approval no less...

Offline JaisonG

• Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »
Having read about Monsanto and their goal to dominate the whole planet's food supply, this sounds like the Codex bill they are trying by the end of this year or it might be the same bill, just a different name.  This bill will require all produce grown to be sprayed with chemicals, but organic produce still be labeled as "organic", and it people want to grow their own food, they will have to pay an outrageous fee to do so.  The bill itself does not make sense, even though I know what they are trying to do.  They want no choice when it comes to food, which tells me how drastically a person can change their life by changing the food they eat.  They are working so hard to keep us dumb, stupid, and sick.  We need fight for our choice of what to eat.

anything