Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Ideas for Egg-Free Breakfast for Kids? Please help!  (Read 4547 times)

Offline KimW

Ideas for Egg-Free Breakfast for Kids? Please help!
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
My friend has three boys and would like to feed them some protein every morning.  Looking for suggestions other than eggs and whey powder in oatmeal!  Thanks for your ideas.  (I could use some ideas myself!)

Offline Alabama

• Alumni
  • Eat Well Be Well
Re: Ideas for Egg-Free Breakfast for Kids? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:17:27 AM »
What about smoothies?  The kids could even help with it and mom/dad could put in whey powder or greens or maybe sneak in a little cod liver oil!  Besides that, how about whipping up a batch of home made granola?  That could really be a fun sunday afternoon activity with the kids to join in on too!
DeeAnnna Wales-VanReken
Certified Natural Chef
Bastyr MSN/DPD candidate 2013

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »
Kids can be incredibly picky, I know, but this seems to me something most kids would enjoy:

Both amaranth and teff are high protein, sticky grains (seeds, actually). If you cook them with just the minimal amount of water (in other words, don't cook them in so much water you'd need to drain them), you'll have a gooey pot of grain. While still very warm, pour (shovel) the cooked grain onto a baking sheet (greased with coconut oil or lined with parchment paper) and spread it about 1/4" thick. Let cool and you'll have a slab you can cut into squares or rectangles or fun cookie shapes. These can be dehydrated to make crispy crackers, or they can be used soft. If you top them with organic nut butter and slices of fresh fruit, a sprinkling of walnuts or pumpkin seeds (Omega 3's) (and maybe a drizzle of maple syrup), you'll have a tasty and hearty breakfast. Can be served warm or cold.

These can also be topped with cottage cheese with fruit, or other organic (possibly raw) cheeses.

And OK, just one egg idea. You could use these to make "Cowboy Eggs", which I grew up knowing as "Egg-in-the-Hole". Take a bread-sized square of the grain and using a cup or other cutter, make a hole in the center about 1 1/4" in diameter. Save the hole. Saute one side of the grain square and the piece from the hole, until browned. Flip and start browning the other side. Before it's full browned, crack a high quality egg (so you have a strong yolk) into the hole in the square piece. Continue browning the side that's down. Then carefully flip the square again, so the egg is on the bottom, being careful not to break the yolk. Cook until the whites are set. The yolk should protrude up and out of the hole. Then you take the browned cut-out piece (the cowboy hat) and put it on top of the yolk. To eat, you break the yolk and spread it all over the "toast". Of course, you can do this with a good sprouted grain bread, too.

KellyT

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 04:18:33 PM »
We like Trader Joes' Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage.

Here are the ingredients: Skinless chicken meat, pure maple syrup, evaporated cane juice, dried apples, salt, lemon juice, spices.

There are 5 in the package and each one has:

Calories: 120

Total Fat: 6g
Cholesterol: 50mg
Sodium: 340mg
Total Carb: 7g
 (sugars: 5g)
Protein: 11g

They are precooked so you just heat them up. We slice them and add a touch of water to the stainless steel pan and gently saute them.

The label also says they are Gluten Free with no sausage casing. A 12 oz package is $3.99.

Whole Foods has frozen chicken or turkey sausage patties with minimal ingredients, too, but they cost $5.99 for a package.

Offline KarenS

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »
My kids love spaghetti,  chili beans, sausages with potatoes, chicken and rice, tuna gravy on toast, tuna patties with stir fry, barbecued chicken and oven fries.  I also make large salads and feed them the leftover salad with their breakfast. Well, as you can see I feed my kids mainly leftovers from the night before. My 14 year son eats 5 meals a day so I am always trying to find foods he can warm up that will be nutrient dense. My son informed me last week that he does not want eggs anymore, so I feel your pain. The last time I gave him eggs he gagged.

I have found that my kids don't do well emotional if they have not had enough protein to start them off in the morning.  So a happy home for me means taking the time and cooking them breakfast or warming up leftovers.

Offline Anil Kapur

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
1) Cut a bowl of mixed fruits, add to that a puree of either strawberry or grapes or any other fruit. This is a basic fruit salad. Further add to this seven powdered almonds, one tbsp powdered mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, alfalfa), a small handful of dried fruits and a dash of cinnamon powder.

or

Two Bananas (ripe, with no green on either end, and some spots on them), seven powdered almonds, one tbsp powdered mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, alfalfa), a small handful of dried fruits and a dash of Cinnamon powder or 1" organic vanilla stick. Blend the above, cover and refrigerate for 15 Min's. If you keep it the refrigerator for two to three hours in a sealed container, it will taste like a souffle.

2) A small bowl of mung sprouts, add a bit of garbanzo or anyother sprouts. Sprinkle oregano, basil, kelp powder, a dash of paprika and some minced cilantro. Add lime and little salt to taste.

3) A fresh glass of juice, fruit or vegetable.

Offline Anil Kapur

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 05:14:33 PM »
I forgot, also a bowl of cottage cheese made out of 10 Oz's of fresh goats milk. Could add raw unpasteurized honey for taste, you could get it at Cafe Gratitude or Wholefoods or www.rawfoods.com