Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: An ideal place for a small retreat  (Read 3498 times)

Offline SimlaS

• Alumni
An ideal place for a small retreat
« on: March 16, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »
Hello fellow students & Bauman administration:

My friend's family has a house in the Santa Cruz Mountains and she is trying to find a second life for it -- i.e. find people who would want to rent it for a week-end or more. It would be ideal for the leader of a small group retreat, featuring health, exercise and self -help. It's close to SF (90mn drive) and spectacular.

Below is a brief description of the house. If you're interested, please contact my friend Cristel directly (CRISTEL DeROUVRAY at cristel@gmail.com). You can also obtain photos from her.

Property Description:

Faraway sits on land that has been in my family for over 150 years - most of the land was donated to the Santa Clara County to form Mt Madonna Park in the late 19th century - so the location is exceptionally sparse and beautiful. I am sure you are familiar with this area, as we are on the same road as the Mt madonna Center (http://www.mountmadonna.org/) -- it's a 90mn drive from San Francisco, if you can avoid traffic (which is actually not that hard, just don't drive before 9 and after 3).

My great uncle built the current house and it was a wonderful place to visit as a child and a college student. When he passed away three years ago, there was talk of selling the property but the market tanked in time and the house stood unsold. So my parents, uncles and aunts decided to fold it into a farming company they all own, and it's now common property. Yet, there is no vision for who will use it regularly (I'm actually the only one who uses it monthly), so they are investigating scenarios to increase use. My job is to explore the "retreat" option!

The house sleeps 10, super comfortably: 5 rooms, 4.5 baths. You could turn one of the game rooms into a 6th bedroom, if necessary, to sleep 12.

The living room, kitchen area is vast, panelled in redwood, with expansive views, decks all around, water falling in a koy pond, outdoor and indoor fireplace, sparsely furnished, so ideal for yoga indoors or outdoors.

If you follow a little path down the hill, you get to the pool house with pool, sauna, kitchen, outdoor seating area and hot tub. There is also an old tennis court in disrepair (earthquakes..)
There are trails for walking around the property (170 acres, though lots of tree covered slopes), and of course, the MMC is just 1 mile down the road, with great vegetarian fare, massage, aruyveda , a cafe and an awesome bookstore. The Mt Madonna County Park is 1 mile down the opposite side of the road for more serious hiking.

The place is truly magical and I think I could keep it alive by finding someone , or several people, who want to rent it several times a year. In terms of pricing, my sense is that it would fall in the $500 to $700 a night range, depending on length of stay, but I am open to suggestions.

Let  me know if you or someone you know might be interested in exploring further.

Sincerely
Cristel
Simla
NC Candidate

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: An ideal place for a small retreat
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »
Thanks for posting.  Although this location doesn't have the types of amenities we require for our vitality fasting retreat, I have forwarded your post to the management team, just in case anyone might have other ideas for it.  It sounds like a wonderful location. Lucky family!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline SimlaS

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »
Thanks, Marlina! I do hope she can save the property...
Simla
NC Candidate

Offline Ed Bauman

• President
  • Faculty
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »
Great place for Santa Cruz grads to offer a healing retreat to a company, school  or group. All the best. Ed
President, Bauman College
Clinical Director, Bauman Nutrition Clinic
Facilitator, Vitality Fasting Retreats
Ph.D. in Health Promotion, U of New Mexico
M.Ed. in Education, U of Massachusetts
President, Board of Directors, NANP
Faculty, JFKU,New College

anything