Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Almonds Recipes?  (Read 7170 times)

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
Almonds Recipes?
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:08:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

I love almonds, but I'm tired of the taste of just plain old raw almonds.

Does anyone have some good ideas to spice up some almonds for my bored taste buds?  (Something other than tamari roasted or honey roasted, I'm not a fan of those.)

Also,

I'm pretty sure almonds are better for you raw rather than roasted, but does anyone know for sure which is better? 

Thanks in advance :)

Offline KatieR

• Alumni
Re: Almonds Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »
There's an alternate BBQ sauce on pg 12 of the Bauman cookbook. I think alot, not all, of the ingredients would go well with almonds and then roasted on low heat in the oven. Spices like cinnamon, paprika, cumin etc. Good luck!
Katie R.

Offline CrystalC

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 03:37:19 PM »
One time my brother in law shared some tamari coated almonds with me and I really liked them.  I don't have a recipe for you, but Whole Foods might have them.  I am not sure if roasting is involved with tamari almonds.  You might put the coating on raw almonds and lightly toast them at low temperature if you had a recipe.  Look into it and I will email my sis to see if they have a recipe I could share with you. Sorry I don't have a recipe to share, I will try.

Crystal

Offline Nicole

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:42 PM »
This is a fun new way to use almonds!  ;D

Fruit & Nut Pop

1 cup coconut water
1 banana
50 raw almonds
6 dates
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4honey

Add all dry ingredients and a half cup of coconut water.
Blend at high speed for 5 minutes.
Add rest of coconut water and banana.
Blend one more minute.
Pour into popsicle mold and freeze.

Offline CrystalC

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:45:28 AM »
oops! I am sorry, I overlooked that you were not interested in tamari almonds. My bad. I always do that on here!!

Offline CrystalC

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »
ok...I am making up for my earlier blunder.  :D
This is a raw foods recipe too, so double good!!

Lemon Coconut Bars

1 c. chopped almonds
1-1/2 c. soaked and pitted Medjool dates
1 Vanilla bean
1 tsp. Sea Salt (sun dried or solar)
Zest of 1 lemon preferrably Meyer lemons
Juice of 1 lemon (2Tbs.)
1 c. shredded coconut

1.  In a food processor, chop almonds into small pieces.
2.  In a mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients, including the remaining chopped almonds.
3.  Press into a baking pan (wax paper is good for this).
4.  Chill for a couple of hours until firm.  Then cut into squares.  These will keep for six days in the refrigerator (you can freeze them too).  They can also be rolled into small meatball size balls.  I like to do the meatball form and roll them on the outside with additional coconut.

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
I like to make flavored almonds by soaking them for a few hours in water with seasalt and different seasonings - chili powder, cumin, curry powder, etc.  Drain, let dry on a paper town for a couple of hours and then run through the dehydrator to finish drying.  They are very yummy this way.

Offline KatieR

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »
that soaking and dehydrating one sounds fab! So many great ideas out there! thanks.
Katie R.

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
Crystal,

Thanks for the Lemon Coconut Bars recipe. I just made it, but I made these adjustments to it for reasons you'll see are necessary:

1) I processed the almonds and then set them aside.
2) There are no instructions for what to do with the dates once they're soaked, so I pureed them in the processor with the lemon zest and juice, 1 tsp. vanilla extract instead of bean, and 1/8 teaspoon salt instead of a full teaspoon (that's gotta be a mistake). The lemon juice, and using liquid vanilla, allowed the dates to puree successfully, though there were still some chunks. But I liked that.
I also added 1 tablespoon of raw honey because I didn't think the people I'd be serving this to would think it sweet enough with just the dates.
3) Then everything went into the mixing bowl and done as suggested.

They're great.

Offline CrystalC

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »
Jodi,
Sorry for the mistakes on the recipe.  I will have to take a second look at that.  Your substitutions are great.  They are super yummy aren't they!!  :D

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »
Thank you to everyone for your delicious suggestions! ;D

Offline MaryO

• Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 11:38:14 AM »
CINNAMON GIRLS

2 cups raw almonds, finely ground in a food processor
1/3 cup cinnamon
1/3 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup agave nectar
2 tablespoons olive oil

In a mixing bowl, combine the almonds, cinnamon, salt, if using, and raisins, and stir until the dry ingredients are mixed well.  Add the agave nectar and olive oil to the bowl, and mix until a doughlike consistency is reached.  Using your hands, roll the mixture into ping-pong-sized balls.  Serve as is, or cover and freeze before serving until thoroughly chilled for a more solid consistency.

You can get creative with this recipe, as I have, and substitute, or combine different dried fruits, nuts, or use coconut oil instesd of olive oil.  Try rolling the balls in dried coconut, cocoa powder, nuts, or cinnamon.  Instead of rolling the dough into balls, you can press the dough into an 8" x 8" pan, and then cut into squares.  I chill the dough slightly before cutting into squares.  The bars can be sprinkled with topping of choice.  They look really nice in little paper cups ( like small cupcake cups, or like the cups that See's candy comes in ) for parties.  These are nutritious and delicious!

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 03:42:14 PM »
Crystal,

I did a food demo/cooking class/dinner at my house last Tuesday, for which I made those Lemon Coconut Bars. Big hit. Even I liked them, and I don't like the flavor of coconut.

Thanks again.

Offline KarenP

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »
Sorry this is a bit late, but I'm just getting back to my studies!
I went to a macrobiotic dinner party last week where they served some delicious beans, millet, parsnip soup and desserts.  One was an almond cookie, so I'll share that recipe with you.

2 c. raw almonds
3/4 c. corn oil
1 c. brown rice syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Roast almonds on cookie sheet until browned.  In blender/food processor combine almonds, oil, syrup and vanilla.  Blend.  Mix in salt and flour.  Spoon onto baking sheet and bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes.

Offline AmyC

• Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 02:23:27 PM »
Hey there almond lover. I just realized I forgot to post for my homework and jumped on to find your note. I happen to have just made a pretty yummy almond dipping sauce.

Check it out:

Sweet & Spicy Almond dipping sauce

Ingredients

1/2 cup almond butter
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
2.5 tsp. raw agave
3  Tbsp unsweetened almond milk (to thin)
1/8 tsp of Sonoma sea salt
2-3 pinches of red pepper flakes (be careful the flakes will expand in the sauce as it sits)
2 Tbsp. coconut cream

Directions

1. Stir 1 pinch of red pepper flakes into your almond butter. Slowly drip in half of your agave and half of your vinegar into Almond butter, slowly stirring or folding.
2. Add Almond milk slowly to thin. 
3. Add part of sea salt (more if needed to taste)
4. Adjust with your remaining ingredients to taste. Coconut cream used at end and mixed into ideal consistency (a bit drippy for dipping rolls).

I use it on Vietnamese style salad rolls, but it's good on any veggies too.