Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: How much of the teaching takes into accounf of Ayurveda?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline wildrice

• Ahimsa
How much of the teaching takes into accounf of Ayurveda?
« on: March 26, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »
I've been really getting into Ayurveda reading some great books: "Perfect Health" by Deepak Chopra, M.D. and "The Ayueveda Cookbook" by Amadea Morningstar and Urmilla Desai.
How much do the teachings take into account of Ayueveda? It's an inspiring form of healthing taking to account diet, doshas, yoga, quantum physics and many more forms.

I'm considering attending in the fall and just wonding how much of the teachings take into account Ayurveda. Within our studies can we make emphasis's on special studies such as Ayurveda.

Thanks!

Offline Ed Bauman

• President
  • Faculty
Re: How much of the teaching takes into accounf of Ayurveda?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »
I, too, love the flavor and energetics of Ayurveda. It is a formative influence on my thinking and articulation. The Eating for Health approach does not teach Ayurveda with the dosha's as such, but very much uses the notion of heating and cooling foods, building, balancing and cleansing diets, which are very similar to vata, pitta, kapha balancing diets. I found that keeping the language in English, rather than Hindi or Sanscrit keeps the notions easy to work with and share with clients. I do encourage students to delve into Oriental systems as well as Eating for Health to provide a nice way of seeing that paths are many, truth is one. There isn't time in our course for a decent intro to Ayurveda (we once had that) or Chinese Medicine or other 'systems'. Eating for Health attempts to create a universal language that allows for observation, dialog, energetic and biochemical assessments and individualized diet and lifestyle programs, all of which aim to create greater balance, awareness and self-mastery.
President, Bauman College
Clinical Director, Bauman Nutrition Clinic
Facilitator, Vitality Fasting Retreats
Ph.D. in Health Promotion, U of New Mexico
M.Ed. in Education, U of Massachusetts
President, Board of Directors, NANP
Faculty, JFKU,New College