Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Distance Learning  (Read 8987 times)

Offline O

Distance Learning
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:32:45 PM »
hello - is there an official start date for the distance learning program? when would that be? also, are there any in-class sessions at all?

best regards,
thomas

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Distance Learning
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:36:25 AM »
Hello,

The Bauman College Distance Learning Program can be started at any time.  Just apply when you are ready to begin!

Nutrition Educator, the first certification course of our two level certification program, is a 350 hour course in total that can be completed in a self-paced manner throughout 18 months.  On average, you can figure that if you spend ~10 hours per week, you can get through the course in about 10 months.  Of course this all depends on your individual study skills, retention rate, and prior familiarity with nutrition related material.

We begin classroom courses in March and September yearly at our three northern California site locations: Berkeley, Penngrove, and Santa Cruz.

You can find detailed information on our cutting-edge holistic nutrition curriculum  on the main Bauman College website.  In addition to the training program pages, the Prospective Student page is helpful, with a "Resource" section that includes schedules, pricing information and dates for upcoming Introductory Evenings and Teleconference Calls.

Thanks for your question.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Harrington

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 03:30:46 PM »
The Distance learning students are also allowed to sit in on two classes for free.  All you need to do is contact the school and let them know ahead of time.  I did this and it was great to see how the classes were run and visit the school.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
Yes, Thank you Colleen for that clarification, I did not get the full gist of the question.  The current policy is that a Distance Learning student may sit in on FOUR classes for free.

Our newest Distance Learning feature is semi-annual on-site workshops at one of our three Bauman College schools.  The first gathering will be on October 20th at our Penngrove facility, preceeding the National Association of Nutrition Professional's Conference that will be held at Sonoma State University.

All current Distance Learning students are invited to the event, which includes a luncheon with staff members, and two lecture sessions with Ed Bauman and Cathy Crystal, the Distance Learning Administrator.  Lecture topics are:  The Skinny on Fats and Client Interview Skills (with practice application).

Have a great weekend!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:48:55 AM by Marlina E »
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline LinneaS

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »
Hello,
I am seriously considering doing distance learning for the NC course because i feel this will take away a great amount of stress in my life and will allow me to go at my own pace. I started reading about Distance Learning and was wondering how much it costs and how much it would cost if I wanted to sit in a class for more than 2 sessions. I would also like to know if the homework is turned in online or mailed to the instructor.

Besides all of this, I was wondering how much guidance is given in finding a job once NC is completed with distance learning, because it seems there might be less networking with distance learning. Do people have the same successes at finding jobs when using distance learning?

Thank you so much!
Linnea

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »
Hello Linnea

It sounds like our Distance Learning option may be a great choice for you.  Many students enjoy the flexibility of working at their own pace.  The total program costs for all programs can be found here: http://www.baumancollege.org/pdfs/Tuition.pdf

As a Distance Learning student you are eligible to sit in on 4 classes for free.  You can do this at any of our classroom locations.  You may sit in on additional classes at a cost of $35 each. 

Homework is emailed to your Bauman College Mentor.  He/she will grade your homework and email it back to you.  After each course topic is completed, including the grading of homework, you and your Mentor will participate in a telephone consultation.

Bauman College understands the desire our students have to interact and network with one another.  This is accomplished through our exclusive Student Community Forum. Our on-line web community provides the perfect platform for networking, sharing questions, experiences, course work, recipes, employment opportunities, etc. Bauman College faculty and staff are actively involved and moderate forum topics daily.

Another Distance Learning networking feature is our semi-annual Distance Learning Event held at one of our Bauman College locations. These events provide a wonderful opportunity for our Distance Learners to meet and network with their fellow students, mentors, and Bauman College staff. These fun filled and educational on-site workshops include a delicious Eating for Health dinner and two lectures presented by Dr. Ed Bauman, Director. 

Monthly lectures, via tele-conference call and presented by Dr. Ed Bauman, are a special feature exclusively for our Distance Learning students. Join in and interact with Dr. Bauman and your fellow Distance Learning classmates.

One last recommendation I have for networking within our field and creating community would be to join the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP). They keep members abreast of the latest developments in the field of nutrition. They also provide a membership directory, offer mal-practice insurance, and provide many opportunities for you to get involved.

The Bauman College Employment Board is located within our Forum and is exclusively offered to Bauman College students and alumni.  Graduates, whether classroom or Distance Learning, have the same opportunities and successes working in the field of Holistic Nutrition. Upon graduation, you will be qualified to work with other health care professionals or establish your own private practice. Many graduates teach courses, give talks on nutrition or write articles for publications. Others enjoy working in clinics, private schools, spas, health clubs, corporate fitness programs, working with sports teams, and other rewarding positions.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your questions in more detail.  I am always available to answer questions and provide more information on all Bauman College programs. 

Be Well,

Marsha McLaughlin
Admissions Supervisor
admissions@baumancollege.org

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:44:09 PM by Marlina E »

anything