Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Trick or Treat?  (Read 5768 times)

Offline LileaD

• Alumni
Trick or Treat?
« on: October 28, 2006, 05:09:28 PM »
Hello everyone!

This will be my first year handing out treats for halloween and I'm pretty excited!

I'm not too keen on passing out candy to trick-or-treaters, and I am willing to cook/bake/etc something to pass out, I was hoping some of you might have suggestions for what I could pass out this year.

To the moms out there, I'm also interested in knowing what you would think/do if someone gave your child something they made. How can I make my treat something parents will let their children try? I know there is always the fear of treats being tainted if they aren't "packaged."

Thanks in advance for any feedback I receive :)

Offline SarahK

• Alumni
Re: Trick or Treat?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
I'm not a fan of passing out candy either. My trick-or-treat bag is filled with kids party favors such as bouncy balls, mini slinkys, whistles and stickers, packs of sugarfree gum, and breakfast bars from Whole Foods. Last year I passed out packs of crayons (4 in a box, with a coloring page included) but I couldn't find any this year. I think I paid about $28 total and I should have enough goodies for 50 kids.

I'm saving the baked goods for the people/kids I know. I've thought about having some kind of warm cider in a crockpot on the porch for both kids and parents, but I wasn't sure how well that would go over and if that would be considered a trick or a treat.

We recently moved so this is our first Halloween in this neighborhood. I'm not sure how many kids to expect or what they'll think of the weird lady on the block who doesn't pass out candy!

Good luck and let us know what you decided to do!
Sarah

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
Re: Trick or Treat?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 09:57:21 AM »
One thing I recall people doing when I was young, was to include their name, address and phone number in the package of homemade goods.   An ingredient list with health properties would be great as well....like the recipe write-up for NE snack demos.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:58:59 AM by Marlina E »
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant