Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Armenian Lentil Soup ^_^  (Read 3660 times)

Offline RachelSh

Armenian Lentil Soup ^_^
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:03:53 AM »
This recipe, from Moosewood, is an old favorite of mine.  I always get "best soup ever!" comments, the flavor is so complex and satisfying :)  And it's vegan friendly, gluten free  Probably my all-time favorite soup!

1 1/2 cups dried lentils (I prefer french lentils for texture!)
6 cups vegetable stock (or water)
1/2 cups chopped dried apricots (4 oz)
3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
2 to 3 cups eggplant
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
1 green pepper, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice (or another 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, if preferred)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne or crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint

Rinse the lentils, then bring them to a boil in the stock or water. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add the chopped apricots and simmer covered for another 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, saute the onions in the oil until translucent, then add the eggplant and 4 or 5 tablespoons of water. Cook covered on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is almost tender. Add the remaining vegetables, dried spices, and salt. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir the vegetables into the cooked lentil-apricot mixture and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the parsley and mint and serve.

Garnish with parmesan if desired. Goes great with rye bread and a dark green salad :)

Offline AnaG

a good snack
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:36:51 AM »
A really good snack that I have been enjoying lately is:
Half of an avocado and a banana mashed up together, then I add ground golden high lignan flaxseeds to the mix and some almonds.
The Avocado is a really healthy source of fat, and the banana works as a great sweetener. The flax seeds are not only good for their high ALA omega 3 oils, they are a great source of fiber. Which in turn help with many things in the body such as clearing up the skin, balancing female hormones according to the women's encyclopedia of natural medicine, Tori Hudson, ND. The fiber aspect of the flax seeds allow for excretion of toxins left behind in the body, and finally the almonds give protein to the fat and carbohydrate rich breakfast, and a good crunchy delicious texture.

Offline YukikoH

• Alumni
Re: Armenian Lentil Soup ^_^
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 08:46:08 PM »
Hello Rachel!

I made this recipe on this weekend and enjoyed my first lentil cooking.
This soup was new taste for me and flavorful.
The combination of spicy taste from greenpepper and other spices and mild sweet flavor   from lentil and apricot was good!

The one point that concerned me was what the serving size was.
I guessed that it might be 6-8 servings from the amount of vegetable stock.

Though I didn't change the recipe, I soaked the eggplant in water for 5 minutes before saute to remove the sharp taste or bitter component of egg plant.

Thank you for introducing this recipe. *^^*

Offline ShirleyW

• Alumni
Re: Armenian Lentil Soup ^_^
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »
The Armenian Lentil Soup was very good.  When I made it I used 6 medium zucchini in place of the eggplant (I didn't have one), and used olive oil (replaced the vegetable oil) in the soup and a little to drizzle on each serving.  Thanks Shirley