Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Any Suggestions for tortillas alternatives??  (Read 2545 times)

Offline JitendraM

• Alumni
Any Suggestions for tortillas alternatives??
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions to alternatives for flour or corn tortillas??
I have a gluten senstivity so I moved towards corn tortillas, but not I am learning that corn is not the best thing to be eating all the time. I am looking for a brown rice flour recipe for tortillas, does anyone have any thoughts??

Offline Dixie

• Alumni
  • Nothing so good for the heart as the horse.
    • The Tao of Chow
Re: Any Suggestions for tortillas alternatives??
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:22:16 PM »
I too am gluten sensitive and have found that "pretend" breads just don't work for me. I just end up wanting the real thing even more. So, I essentially live on veggies and a little poultry, fish and sometimes beef.
I use zucchini slices as crackers, and romaine lettuce or other large leaf lettuce as wraps.  It is excellent.  But, my soul, on rare occasions, yearns for those comfort foods that for a descendant of German farmers, is bread, pancakes, waffles, dumplings, no wonder the gluten sensitivity, ehh?
Anyway, Pamela's Baking Mix, which isn't really something you'd want to get in the habit of, is made from brown rice flour.  Sometimes I use the pancake recipe on the back of the package as tortillas.  Long ago, I also came up with a recipe for a tortilla substitute using Bob's Red Mill Baking Mix which is flour from different beans, garbanzo mostly I think.  It was a bit bitter so I masked that using curry powder and cumin.  It was pretty good but I've misplace it somewhere in a move.  Really though, I strongly suggest trying the lettuce leaf thing.  Once you get used to it, it's just really, really yummy!
Dixie
Dixie Raile NC
The Tao of Chow  
settle into your wellness
email:  dixie@the-tao-of-chow.com

Offline KellyD

• Alumni
Re: Any Suggestions for tortillas alternatives??
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:12:49 PM »
Have you tried the brown rice tortillas that Trader Joe's carries?  I agree with Dixie that often these 'substitutes' just leave you wanting the real thing more, but I have made some fairly yummy quesadillas with these.  Often I'll just use black beans and sauteed vegetables and omit the cheese and they are actually a treat.  I think the key could be heating them...

KellyD

anything