Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Nutrients, Foods and Symptoms database  (Read 2897 times)

Offline SuzanneR

• Alumni
Nutrients, Foods and Symptoms database
« on: April 15, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »
Hi,  I'm an NE student making a career change from database programming.  As I'm studying the micornutrients section I'm realizing I could really use a database that links symptoms, nutrients and foods together in one easy to find spot.  There is so much information in the books and audio files and handouts that I'm having trouble organzing it into a usable format.  Does anyone know of a tool like this that already exists?  If not, is this something you might be interested in seeing developed? 

Please let me know your thoughts as I'm currently designing a db and application to run in Microsoft Access.  Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.

Suzanne

Offline AmyC

• Alumni
Re: Nutrients, Foods and Symptoms database
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »
Yes, Suzanne. I would love to know if this exists, if not, I would love to forward it to so many friends and relatives if it was created. I jumped on when I saw your topic, thinking, wow, can you enter a symptom and find out what to eat for it or better yet, what not to eat?

I am in the Chef program, but have  many questions regarding symptoms and their food relation.

I'll check in to see if anything comes of your post.

Warm regards,

Amy (aspiring chef)  :)

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
I have a glossy 8 1/2 X 11 chart from Spectracell Laboratories with a list of 20 nutrients; the potential for deficiency of each; what functions each nutrient performs in the body; what foods are good sources; and the symptoms of deficiency. It's not in-depth, but it's a great quick reference guide. Where I obtained this chart is anyone's guess. However.....

I went looking for it on the lab's website, and though I couldn't find it, they've got a great database with pretty much all the info you're looking for. It can be found here:

http://spectracell.com/research/about-micronutrients/

Perhaps you can call them about getting a copy of the chart, if they still have them.

Offline AnnR

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »
There was a product called HealthQuest demonstrated at the NANP conference a couple of years ago that looked pretty good in this area.  They talked about taking their product to the web and had a lot of interesting plans.

Unfortunately, looking at their website (http://www.hquest.com/), it looks like they haven't done much new with the product - and it is rather expensive.  You could always contact them and see what's happening with the product.

On the plus side, they still seem to have some nice handouts: http://www.hquest.com/hq_handouts.asp

Good luck,
Ann